Volta: NVIDIA's Next Generation GPU Architecture (2017-2018)

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by J.Dre, Aug 14, 2016.

?

When do you believe Volta will be officially announced?

1. 1H 2017 - Around GTC '17, at the end of May.

7.5%
  2. 2H 2017 - Around the end of Summer or early Fall 2017.

22.4%
  3. 1H 2018 - Early 2018, probably Q1 (Jan., Feb., or Mar.)

33.6%
  4. I believe there will be another iteration of Pascal for 2017.

20.1%
  5. I don't care to answer or speculate.

18.7%
  6. I don't know.

6.7%
  7. None of the above. I'll post below.

1.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. micman

micman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can anybody talk me out of my current logic? If pascal only has 6-12 months of life left, why would I drop $1800-2000 use only to have volta/vega overshadow shortly? What is there about pascal that could possibly be worth the cost over say, this... https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01K8OTQE8?ref=olp_product_details

Of note, VR is a non factor to me. Struggling to see the benefit when the cheapest pascal card, 1060, benches lower performance than 980m and at higher cost.

2. JasonLLD

JasonLLD Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well, Volta in 2017 is just a rumor and we might get bigger Pascal next year instead. And I don't think we will see bigger Pascal in laptops. And I don't expect Vega to find a place in notebook when AMD can't even fit RX480 on there.
    1060 runs cooler than 980m while providing similar performance and will likely perform better at future DX12/Vulkan games since Pascal does it better than Maxwell.

3. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Volta currently runs hotter than Pascal. There are changes in the works however but even those changes are hitting a wall. Until other technology is developed and put into production, Moore's Law is over for both CPUs and GPUs finally hit the wall too.

Mr Najsman, jaybee83 and ajc9988 like this.
  4. micman

micman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Am I likely to experience these benefits in games coming soon like Andromeda or CoD MW remastered? Because to me, if both cards can max the quality settings and one is just working harder to get there, what's the difference? Given volta may take a year or more to hit the shelves, wouldn't a 980m survive until then? I realize this may have something to do with personal preference.

5. ThePerfectStorm

ThePerfectStorm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good God! @D2 Ultima said that Pascal is hot, but if Volta is even hotter, it may make sense to get a Pascal laptop. And we can pretty much say goodbye to thin-and-light laptops for the near future (considering that they are overheating on Pascal). Dang. Since I want thin-and-light I might have to get something like whatever they put into an XPS 15 refresh, say.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

6. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Volta.

HOTTER.

Pascal.

How, exactly? Like, did they just dump 312 buckets of "hot to not make a GPU.png" into the R&D?

ThePerfectStorm likes this.
  7. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do people really expects consumer volta in 2017? Thats a rather optimistic prediction.

8. JasonLLD

JasonLLD Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If you play games on 1080p, I doubt you would have much trouble playing games either on 1060 or 980m. I am not sure if you will still be able to "max the quality settings" on future games but they will survive until volta hits.

9. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Early stages. It's also not a huge delta over Pascal, nothing like Maxwell -> Pascal. I don't have any more info other than Nvidia is on track to deliver cards in 2017 for Summit and Sierra. No word about anything else.

ajc9988 likes this.
  10. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I might be off topic but would it be safe to assume that getting something small with pascal and ride it to volta would be a good idea?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.