Vista Ultimate for $199

Discussion in 'Notebook and Tech Bargains' started by SRD, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phillip

Phillip Phillip J. Fry

Reputations:
    OIC, thanks for clearing that up, two last questions; does it cost anything to get a new key? and is that "Vista Voids you XP CD once you install/update it" true, or is it just another false rumor?

2. SRD

SRD Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No it doesnt cost anything. you just call up if your key doesnt work on a new install. remember you can only have the OS installed on one machine at a time. as soon as you connect to the internet the OS will know you are running it on two machines.

About the XP voiding. It has always been any OS makers policy that if you buy a upgrade the old key is invalidated. but i think it may still work. but thats only with upgrades. The OEM copy of vista is actually cheaper than the upgrade version and its a full version.

I havent tried with vista but im pretty sure you can install the upgrade version without having XP installed it just needs to read the old cd. Thats the way MS did it in the past. I heard you couldnt do it with vista but i have read later things thats its still possible to use the upgrade without XP installed.

3. Phillip

Phillip Phillip J. Fry

Reputations:
    Thanks for clearing that up.
    So, I can get the full version of Vista and still install my XP cd on another computer?

4. SRD

SRD Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes that can only be a problem if you buy a vista upgrade. The full version of vista is a lisence on its own has nothing to do with any previous OS. Remember to look for the OEM versions on newegg. Much cheaper. OEM just means its meant for system builders kinda like what HP or someone would get to sell with their PCs they dont use Retail versions. But they are identical software.

5. Phillip

Phillip Phillip J. Fry

Reputations:
    Thanks
    I won't be buying Vista (64bit) for a while now. For now I'm just going to use the free 32bit version from my uni.
    just found out that they offer Ultimate 32bit a few minutes ago.

6. SRD

SRD Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Honestly i wouldnt use 64bit for a while there is no benifit really from it yet.

7. Phillip

Phillip Phillip J. Fry

Reputations:
    which is why I'm not buying it. That and I don't have a 64bit processor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.