Vista: High number of processes

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Gamer9965, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leaftye

leaftye Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine has 44 processes. About 4 of those are specific to tabletpc's. One more is because I use Groove. Another is for the pdf printer driver.

2. dbam987

dbam987 wicked-poster

Reputations:
    Vista will naturally have more processes than XP does in the beginning because it has a bunch more functionality. It's not a bad thing to have 50+ processes at startup, as most if not all of those processes are for allowing Vista to provide lots of features. In my view, Vista is much better at utilizing system resources (after SP1 of course :p). The only concern is that those processes don't chew up too many CPU cycles. As long as a system has at least 2 GB or more of RAM, then Vista will do fine.

3. pixelot

pixelot Notebook Acolyte

Reputations:
    It's going to have 50 as a reasonable number, I think. Vista just has more than XP with the same stuff installed, period.

Cheers... :cool:

4. Matt is Pro

Matt is Pro I'm a PC, so?

Reputations:
    I haven't noticed any negative effects due to the high number of processes, though on average there are more processes in Vista than on any XP machine I've seen.

5. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mime with Tourette's

Reputations:
    You have a fair number of processes that are, shall we say, running at the user's discretion. Other than that observation, your process list does not seem excessive. I have trimmed mine somewhat and find that 50 is "normal" for my machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.