Vista Clean Install with offline OEM activation

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Wh1t3w0lf, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatte

chatte Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    clean install helps to get rid of a preinstalled crapware and causes the laptop boot and run faster

2. Wrath

Wrath Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks. So would this guide be the best way to go about that? Will I be missing any drivers or programs I need for the lenovo to be working at 100%?

3. Wh1t3w0lf

Wh1t3w0lf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As chatte said Lenovo's website has available for download all the drivers and applications that you will need to have a 100% functional laptop without the annoying crapware that slows down your computer.

Download Drivers and Applications

4. Wrath

Reputations:
    Thanks again. So that should have everything. I was thinking about getting the fingerprint scan option. Worth it?

5. spike229

spike229 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    fingerprint thingy (i got one with mine) is more of a convieniece factor and i dont see it being any more secure then a normal password.

in fact id think that it would give people two things to hack into in order to crack your computer open rather than just one.

so far i like it because it lets me just slide my finger to get into anything.. windows, websites, encrypted files, email, ect. you just have to take a couple secounds the first time you run each program to tell it if you want it or not.

6. Wrath

Reputations:
    I like the scifi factor behind that. Thank you everyone for answering my questions fully. Now I just have to wait for that blasted T61p to come out.

7. MaryGladys

MaryGladys Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for this info! Totally awesome! I have a question, though. So, I bought a Lenovo T61 with the 32-bit version of Vista Ultimate. Now, I have the software for Ultimate 64 bit (it's the full version - totally legit for my Media Center). Can I use the 32 bit key for a 64 bit install using this technique?

Thanks again!

Yeah, I agree about clean installs all the way, though. So many bloated OEM apps. Ugh! And a waste of hard drive space for the restore image!!!

---

MG :p

8. MaryGladys

Reputations:
    Ok, it didn't work for me. I mean, going from 32 to 64 bit using this method That is sad....

9. MaryGladys

Reputations:
    NEVERMIND! WORED LIKE A CHAMP!!!! I had to change the switch to say:

slmgr -ilc lenovo.oemcert.1000036.xrm-ms

I ran this with my command prompt in C: itself with a copy of the file there.

Hope this helps! Score!!!!

10. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So you were able to use the 32bit xrm-ms file to also activate a 64bit install? That's great! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.