Virtualisation Technology OR not on M18x R2 (Factory A05 Unlocked Bios) OS - WIN8 PRO

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by LostMemoriCry, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LostMemoriCry

LostMemoriCry Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey

I found a issue either on Dell's bios or intel processor identification utility concerning the Virtualisation Technology

I was just testing the oc limitation of two hyperx 16G packs this afternoon. Actually, I got two from amazon uk two weeks ago, however, i have no time to play on both of them. I found the best timing table for my 32G hyperx memory which has a big difference between my 8G pack hyperX. This is not the main point of this thread.

My processor is 3940XM, it should perform at 3.0 GHz as expect. Actually, the windows always tells it works at 3.2GHz. I think this is good and this might be common for a XM processor. However, I found these days the base freq is a bit down than previously and the working speed is staying at 3.19 instead of 3.20. So I am just going to check the detail of this processor, fake or genuine. (ES or other QS can be easily found of CPUZ, but sometimes, CPUZ cannot be very sensitive to a "processed" ES cpu, say, dell may modify the software inside cpu, it is possible.) So I use the intel processor identification utility to see if it is.

The result is no problem but the Virtualisation Tech, BTW, inte said that the base freq could be changed a bit. So I think 1M or 2M variance is usual.(Drop from 100MHz, sometimes 99.8 MHz to 98+ or 97+. dynamic)
    In terms of the VT, I read up the artical of 3940XM on intel offical website and it is said that it supports VT if the mb, os and other software support.

So I feel very confusing, I tried to right click and see the task manager, it is said my VT is enabled. my god, what happened? Microsoft said VT is open and Intel said it is not..........OK, let us see what DELL says.

Restart -----------------------------------F2 -------------------------------------VT (Enabled).........................DELL and MS are the same, however, Intel did not agree them OK, let me turn it off, set it as Disabled.-------------------------F10

Check task manager, VT disabled, ok -------------------Intel ID ---------------------VT-x and VT-d are both supported,

I am going to crazy. I googled and I found a few intel people agreed this was a mischecking of their software, some of them deemed that the similar situations were the problem of manufacture's bios. Most of issues came from DELL'S PRODUCT. ALL LINES, not AW only. So I have no idea if I have to set it enable or not in BIOS in terms of VT.

In summary, this is either the problem of Intel that their software is not good enough in WIN8 OR DELL A05 BIOS. I do not think this is MS's problem, WIN8 is nice. So I just want to anyone who can download this very small software from intel and run it once when your VT is enabled in BIOS. I am very appreciating everyone who can read this long story and if you can give me a few feedback, That is perfect!

Example:
    A08 VT Enabled or Disabled
    Intel ID VT support: Yes or No.

Of course, if anyone who can tell me which stauts is actually enabled of the VT, say if there is a command that I can check the status in WINdows, like TRIM, that is really magic.

Hope you guys help, Mary X'mas in advance

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The base frequency can vary by a small amount (usually deliberately for EM noise reasons) so when you apply the large multiplier to that clock you loose a few Mhz.

Is it VT-X or VT-D you are after disabling? Also why? It's something desktop users do but wont really make a difference.

It helps if you get right down to your question when asking something rather than putting a lot of background into it, it makes it a bit hard to read.

3. LostMemoriCry

LostMemoriCry Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for your suggestion. I have already got the result from another software named securab.

In A05 BIOS, I am 100% sure that the VT MUST BE DISABLED IN BIOS THAT MEANS YOU CAN GET VT ACTIVED IN OS rather than ENABLED IN BIOS that you will lose the VT function.

Next time, I will be very careful to let everyone clear.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.