[Video Tutorial] How to repaste laptop with liquid metal to reduce CPU temperatures

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by nravanelli, Jan 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jordanator88

Jordanator88 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Mr. Fox, I was wondering if you could give me the name or link to your video showing the differences between these liquid metals? I could not find it on your Youtube channel MrFoxRox.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Hi Bro. I saw your post on my YouTube channel making reference to this thread.

The only video I can identify with a comparison of three different thermal pastes was this one.

This was not a comparison of 3 different liquid metal pastes. I think my post in January of 2017 in this thread might have been poorly worded. If that is the case, I apologize for not being clearer in what I was saying. I cannot remember doing a video comparing multiple brands of liquid metal. Perhaps I did and cannot remember, but I looked through my library and did not identify a video like that.

My opinion of liquid metal has changed over time. What you quoted above is no longer my opinion. CLU used to be the best. It was thicker and less likely to run or drip. They changed the composition of it and that is no longer the case. Phobya Liquid Metal, Liquid Ultra and Liquid Pro are thinner and runnier than Conductonaut. I now recommend Conductonaut above the other liquid metal options.

woodzstack and Papusan like this.
  3. Marlon Estella

Marlon Estella Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Great video and conversation.
    But I have a question regarding longevity.
    I just purchased a gaming laptop and I plan on repasting with CLU. I'm planning on keeping the laptop long-term, and even if properly applied and not needing to repaste often, I'm worried about how long the heatsinks will last.
    Do you guys have any input?

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Heat sinks do not typically wear out as they have no moving parts. As long as the gas in the heat pipes does not seep out they will last many years. The bigger question for every laptop owner is will their machine have a heat sink that fits well and designed properly. There seems to be a trend toward a "heat sink lottery" that is sometimes harder to win than the silicon lottery.

KY_BULLET and Papusan like this.
  5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This indeed.
    Alienwares have warped heatsinks and improper thermal pad thickness that cause high core temp differentials (bad contact pressure on the side of the heatsink close to the VRM area), and MSI has outrageously convex heatsinks. They use a gigantic thermal stamp by "Lairdtech". The heatsinks are mass produced and the exact same heatsink main block is used on the GT72VR, GT73VR, GT75VR and the 6 core GT75, with the only differences (GT73VR and GT75VR heatsink/radiators are identical), being the heatpipes or heatpipe positions. (the GT75 version has an extra heatpipe going from the main CPU radiator to a sub radiator that is sharing space with the GPU VRM radiator). But you can bet your buns they are as convex as ever.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Not the only reason, bruh. You forgot the TRIPOD heatsink design. It will never be perfect even pressure with only 3 legs. Have you seen any desktop MB/Heatsink with 3 or less mounting fasteners? A bad heatsink design for use with Liquid metal.
    [​IMG]

And the brand New TRIPOD heatsink for AW's new Coffee lake models ain't much better!!
    [​IMG]

KY_BULLET and Falkentyne like this.
  7. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Thats what I've been recommending for the last 2 years or so.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    looks like the N150SD or N170 series...
    is it ?

(h I see, it's an Alienware, but very similar)

yeah you can NOT use LM on these, the tripod will not make perfect contact, infact you might want to simply use ICD7 as the thermal compound, seriously, because it's thicker. Thinner pastes like TX-4 from Tuniq, Gelid Extreme, Grizzly's Kryonout - will not work well.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Ashtrix and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. iujona

iujona Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Any tips on applying LM on Aorus X9 DT?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.