[Video Tutorial] How to repaste laptop with liquid metal to reduce CPU temperatures

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by nravanelli, Jan 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tijgert

tijgert Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sounds like a great idea. Now to look for that kind of adhesive, preferably with a tiny little nozzle.

2. Beemo

Beemo BGA is totally TSK TSK!

Reputations:
    So liquid metal is far superior than IC Diamond and Collaboratory?

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Coolaboratory ~ Coolaboratory Liquid ultra = Liquid metal:oops: But Coolaboratory make also standard conventional thermal paste;)

TomJGX and Beemo like this.
  4. kwinz

kwinz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My question is: is it safe to use liquid metal on a laptop that will sometimes be transported/shipped in Winter?
    So the laptop might go down to 0-5 C. I have read that LM is for 10C+ operation only. But what about storage?
    Could it become solid and splitter off the CPU potentially causing short circuits on the laptop mainboard later?

5. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If the melting point is down around -20C you should be ok. Different LMs may have different MPs so that would be the starting point to look up

Condensation is the problem while operating at subzero temps but you don't get there unless you're extreme cooling, water chiller, peltier, LN2 etc

Re the viscosity (or lack of) in Conductonaut I think more care is needed to make sure the die/heatsink interface is as small as possible, and the right amount is used (unlike paste, you can repeatedly check your fit). CLU it seems has a bit more tolerance for both.

I took a little while to build up how much conductonaut was needed for proper consistent contact on my CPU and GPUs and I started small in area too, I did not paint the heatsink outside the bounds of the die/IHS. I have since delidded with it too and the temps are simply amazing. Struggling at stock to run a FPU test without thermal throttle, to a 15% OC that runs cooler. Idle delta down from ~30 to ~10 and that includes a reduction in fan speed - I now have a desktop chip whose fan is almost silent and it's no special 6700K clocker

When I didn't have enough and there was a bit of a gap between the slave GPU and heatsink (fixed with bending), I could clearly see where the stuff would 'pool' on the side of the die that was lower due to the cooler stand, but it has never run beyond the edge of the prepped surface area. If I dropped my laptop on its edge I'd be checking for LM run due to the force possibly breaking the surface tension causing an escape, but then again if I did that *touches wood* I'd have much bigger issues than LM running.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  6. King Jaime D. Crisologo

King Jaime D. Crisologo Newbie

Reputations:
    Guys can I use this kind of nail polish? [​IMG]

7. tijgert

tijgert Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Any nail polish with a sense of humor and that is poisonous to children is acceptable

Falkentyne likes this.
  8. King Jaime D. Crisologo

King Jaime D. Crisologo Newbie

Reputations:
    Just wanted to make sure. Srry kinda newbie :/ thanks for response btw.

9. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Actually I've used LM plenty, especially for customers, but I personally still use Grizzly paste or gelid extreme.

hmscott likes this.
  10. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    much better then ICD7. Infact I think ICD7 is entry level. Anything worse then it shouldn;t be used . period. However I also hate what ICD7 does to a surface in the long run too.
    On GPU die's and CPU's die's directly it scratches them, not much an issue on metal, like you can lap it to get rid of that.

Beemo likes this.
  11. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Where have you been? I left so many commendations for you!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.