Video editing at a budget?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Jdoe84, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Jdoe84

Jdoe84 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

a friend of mine would like to buy a notebook to edit videos in 4k with Adobe premiere. I am unfortunately not familiar with the software and Google was not particularly helpful, however it seems to require 4GB Vram for at least somewhat acceptable gpu acceleration and workflow for 4k Material.

Unfortunately the young lady has a tight budget of about 900 EUR. My questions to you experts:

1. Do you have any particular machines in mind that are ok at the price point? Gamer looks are a no go unfortunately so I am struggling. Maybe some entry-level clevo?

2. Does a 1650, 1500(ti) offer any material benefit over a mx250 or Intel integrated solution and rendering via simply CPU?

3. Any AMD APU or dedicated gpu solutions on the market or horizon that would be sufficient?

Many thanks for your help,

Daniel

2. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can find a used clean laptop with a GTX1080 8GB Vram inside for this much. That would be my recommendation. And it’ll graphically perform as good as the newest laptops available.

I would search for

GTX1080 laptop used.

3. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's best to shop the other way around; find out what is needed to perform your work, then budget for it.

That said, I'm in agreement that a GTX 1080-equipped notebook is going to be a good value. You should have 16GB of RAM and SSD-based storage at the minimum.

If you were shopping for a new notebook, I'd recommend one with a Core i7-9750H or Core i9-9880H CPU, 32GB of RAM, and a dedicated GPU with 4GB-8GB of VRAM. An HP ZBook, Dell Precision Mobile Workstation, or a Lenovo ThinkPad P-series.

Charles

jotm and tps3443 like this.
  4. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not sure you can get a good new laptop for 900 Euros, but you can get a decent refurb/used workstation like Charles said.

Adobe still to this day doesn't use the GPU much compared to other software. CPU/RAM/SSD is more important, but still it's good to have a decent dedicated GPU.

5. Jdoe84

Jdoe84 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the input gents! I recommended to go for an i7 with 1050ti, let's see how it goes :)

6. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I’d recommend they go for a 8th gen i7 if possible. 6 cores with 12 threads is a huge improvement over the 7th gen quad core processors.

Charles P. Jefferies likes this.
  7. banan0o

banan0o Newbie

Reputations:
    As someone said already, GPU is not that important as CPU for Premiere Pro. Also make sure to get AT LEAST 16GB of RAM (the more the better).