Video card upgrade

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by CrimsonEclipse, Jan 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I should have said "brand" but I figured most users here would understand what I meant. As far as AMD drivers being trash I can say my brother has a R9 390 and it works flawlessly with the latest Crimson, and he uses a FreeSync monitor without issue as well. I've had plenty of my own issues with my 980 Ti drivers lately, so Nvidia isn't any better IMO.

Memory "Brands"

Samsung -- Best 970 memory type/brand
    Elipida
    Hynix

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2705354/gtx-970-vram-problem.html -- This user reported his Samsung memory typed 970 worked great. I also had a 970 with Samsung memory and never got the stuttering issue reported.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1529816/...-gtx-970-g1-am-i-this-unlucky-with-my-card/20 He also reported good performance with the Samsung 970.

2. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Developers are going to continue to utilize more and more vRam, and its usage has been on the jump in the last couple years IMO. The 8GB card will at least help future proof the card a bit.

3. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Not a believer in "future-proofing" as far as computer hardware goes. As far as I care of it, it's only a valid term if you're willing to either lower your gaming quality or stick to playing older games as time marches on. And anyway, it'd be more beneficial for a customer to buy a decent mid-range card now and then upgrade to a (much more powerful) future mid-range card for $X than to dump all of $X now on a card that'll be underpowered in a few years.

So I'll stick to higher VRAMs being practical mostly only for pushing out an insane number of pixels more than anything else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.