1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

VERY slow steam update/download

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by AbN610, Jun 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AbN610

AbN610 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    just got a new computer, and I am in the process of installing Counter Strike Counter Strike Source. However, the downoading of Counter Strike Source is taking EXTREMELY long. Its downloading at an average of 8KB/s. This is VERY VERY SLOW. I checked my internet speed and everything is normal. All other downloads are fine and download at 200KB/s. I don't understand why Steam is going so slow and taking this long. Any ideas?

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Nice computer. ;)
    Steam's servers could be overloaded at the moment, I'd just let it go. I've had that happen a few times. If you're updating a few games at the same time, it will also be slower.

3. AbN610

AbN610 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    thanks for the help. nah im only updating one game, CS:S. 8KB/s, that is ridiculous.

4. Elminst

Elminst The Cable Guy

Reputations:
    Stop the download by exiting out of steam.
    open windows explorer and browse to the Valve/Steam folder.
    Delete the Clientregistry.blob file
    Run Steam, log back in.

this forces steam to find a new content server, which will almost always get you a faster connection. Sometimes you have to do this a couple times before it picks a good one.

5. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I think it worked, I was preloading portals and downloading TF2 both at like 8kb/s wich was only 2% done after an hours time. Did the fix and now TF2 is at nearly 350kb/s and portals at 60kb/s or so. Still much slower than when I did it with my desktop, I got nearly 2x that speed, but still much better.

6. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Ok, why was this thread resurrected? Please do not dig up old threads - start a new one instead.