Venom Blackbook 14" Zero - 2017

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Hello Cactus, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello Cactus

Hello Cactus Newbie

Reputations:
    Wondering if anyone has this ultrabook and what they think of it? I'm specifically looking at the i7 model:
    • 7th gen Intel Core i7 - 7Y75 (this is a Y series cpu, I think previously called CoreM?, less power than U series)
    • 16GB RAM
    So I know the first reaction for many would be 'underpowered & overpriced'. I'm inclined to agree, but I do wonder what the newer i7, 16GB model would be like. Ive read and watched as much information as I can find about this ultrabook, but all of the reviews online are based on the i5 (7Y54) processor and 8GB RAM. Reviews of those specs say that its only up for 'light multimedia work' and only satisfies 'minimum Photoshop specs'.

Would the i7, 16GB model be significantly more capable when it came to content creation? I'd be mostly using it for graphics creation in Photoshop and Illustrator, plus doing a bit of work with InDesign. I wouldn't be doing any 3D or video editing / rendering and I wouldn't be using it for gaming. I would also be using it for a lot of writing. I need a laptop that is as portable as possible (max size 14", with good battery life).

I'm worried about it being underpowered and laggy when using Adobe programs. For example if I have several files open at once in Photoshop I'd want be moving between open files and between programs without seeing lag.

Reasons I'm considering the BlackBook Zero 14 are:
    • It does have good build quality (Ive been to a store and checked one out).
    • I like the 14" screen size.
    • It is light weight and very portable.
    • It apparently has good battery life.
    • The keyboard is very nice to use, Im not sure if the keyboard is better than a lenovo but its def better than the Asus I currently use. It would be good for long periods of typing.
    So I'm thinking the BlackBook would be good for portability and for typing, but probably underpowered for lots of Photoshop work and I suspect I'd be better off getting a portable laptop that has a U series cpu. Maybe something like a Razer Blade Stealth?

Ive raised these questions with an Australian retailer that sells BlackBooks, and their response is along the lines of: It's not all down to the cpu. Performance has a lot to do with cpu, RAM, and SSD all being well matched and working in concert. They reckon this system will run faster and perform better than many systems that feature U series cpus. And they tell me the system has no problems running Photoshop. I have no reason to doubt them, but they are selling it right? So I have no way of knowing how much of that is sales pitch and how much is totally legit.

Does anyone have a BlackBook? How do you find it for the tasks I mention above? I'm interested in any and all opinions.

Thanks

Useful reviews:
    TechRadar https://www.techradar.com/reviews/venom-blackbook-zero-14
    Dave Lee

Possible alternative laptops (?):
    Razer Blade Stealth
    Dell XPS 13
    Lenovo X1 Carbon

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.