Vega GL now up on Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by BeastOG, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You'll be fine. That's why it throttles at high temps to protect the hardware. I had mine at high 90's and 100c many times.

hmscott likes this.
  2. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wow! I just shipped the laptop back this morning and already received the refund.

hmscott likes this.
  3. vmishka

vmishka Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone use their new HP Spectre x360 15 with i7-8705G for digital audio (for example Cubase 9.5)?

I would dearly like to see the following benchmarks:

(1) LatencyMon (http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon);
    (2) DAWBench DSP 2017 and DAWBench VI 2017 for Cubase (http://www.dawbench.com/benchmarks.htm; see the left-hand column for downloads).

A free 30-day trial of Cubase Elements can be found here: https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/steinberg_trial_versions.html#c362260 (the trial of Cubase Pro would be better, but it requires that you already have the appropriate Steinberg USB e-Licenser [dongle] and if you don't already have Cubase you will not have the dongle).

If someone is able to do those benchmarks on the new i7-8705G-equipped Spectre and post the results, I would be absolutely thrilled and very grateful.

Thank you.

hmscott and Atma like this.
  4. Monitoring Reviews

Monitoring Reviews Newbie

Reputations:
    I had my HP Spectre x360 with Radeon Vega graphics for 4 days and had to return it. It kept getting extremely hot (hot enough you can’t hold your hand to the top of the case for very long). When it got that hot (which usually took about 30-45 minutes) programs like DaVinci Resolve would start to lag really bad. Trying to play Civ VI is difficult when it gets hot because of lag. I assume because of thermal throttling. It would also crash constantly giving me error messages. I made a video about it, discussing and showing what it was doing. It’s on my YouTube channel. I can link to it if it’s not against the rules here.

I wanted the computer to work because it was so nice! I loved the look of it. I was concerned it was a design flaw with thermals not being able to be regulated. I ended up just ordering a XPS 15 from Dell.

hmscott and Atma like this.
  5. SpectreRocks

SpectreRocks Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I'm new here but wanted to give my input :)

I've been reading this thread since it started as I have been considering buying a Spectre X360 for the last 6 months or so. I only held off on buying one as I knew the upgraded graphics were going to be implemented in the next iteration. After having placed my order, I became slightly worried when I read some people's reviews about the machine overheating and having too much fan-noise. However, I held off and have been using my new laptop for the last two days. Having used a MacBook Pro for the last 5 years or so, I am finding it slightly tricky getting used to a Windows OS again. BUT...

I purchased the 15" model with i7 8705G processor 1TB SSD, and Vega M Graphics. I mainly use my laptop for 4K video editing my GoPro videos, running about 20 browser tabs simultaneously, with 4 or 5 of those streaming 1080p video and live chat feeds. At the same time, I always tend to have a live financial trading platform running in a separate app, Skype, email constantly updating, and sometimes even YouTube playing in the background. I don't really use laptops for gaming, I have consoles for that purpose!

OVERHEATING has NOT been an issue thus far, thankfully. The fans are EXTREMELY quiet, and they seem to do an amazing job at keeping the laptop cool. I regularly move my hands around trying to find some heat, I test all areas of the base, the screen, keyboard, but can honestly say I have never found it to be warm!

Performance so far has been really impressive and I am somewhat delighted with how everything runs and feels on this machine. The build quality is second to nothing I have encountered before, and contrary to what other reviews have said elsewhere on the web, the trackpad works flawlessly for me. I have compared the display brightness and colour quality also with my old laptop and the difference is HUGE! White tones are really white and bright and the 4K display makes all the text crisp and pop out from the screen, almost.

The only negatives I have found so far is that it is slightly more heavy than my old 13" MacBook, but that's a given considering the X360 is sporting a 15" screen, quad speakers which sound awesome and the keyboard has an added numpad. The numpad is of no use or interest to me, but I can see how it might be for some people. Still, transforming it into tablet mode... it's not TOO heavy, the 15" is a nice size to use and the weight doesn't cause any discomfort when I'm resting it on my knee.

The Spectre X360 came with a tilt pen which I have found incredibly responsive, easy to set-up and use. I have already found myself tending to scroll pages by touching the screen with my fingers, may sound weird, but having used iPads quite a lot in the past... it's something I always used to wish I could do on Macbook Pro, and on the Spectre it works a real treat!

If you guys have any questions, feel free to let me know!

6. Monitoring Reviews

Reputations:
    That’s great that yours is working well. I may have just gotten a bad device? Makes me wonder. If I knew for a fact that was the case, I would have ordered another one. But HP Customer support/tech support was no help and didn’t even try to trouble shoot it.

Atma likes this.
  7. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:

hmscott and custom90gt like this.
  8. RhyStar

RhyStar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think it is obvious that playing games gets it hot, but for business use with some graphics editing, etc., it works just fine.

The review above said the same thing, really. These are still not gaming machines...

I am going to wait until they have BT 5, and have this available with a simple 1080p so I can get better battery life. For my personally needs, I don’t require a 4K.

R

Atma likes this.
  9. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Will they make a 1080p version though?

Atma likes this.
  10. Monitoring Reviews

Reputations:
    I don’t think so. I don’t think they had a 1080p version in the last model. You could go with an XPS 15 2 in 1 with a 1080p screen.

Atma likes this.