Vega GL now up on Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by BeastOG, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you check HP Support Assistant there are several new drivers including Vega graphics and Intel graphics.

[​IMG]

hmscott likes this.
  2. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, I may end up sending this back. I tried some Civ 6 after installing new drivers and got several blue screens. I rolled back to the original driver and still got a blue screen: Whea Uncorrectable Error. I looked it up and it seems to have something to do with cpu voltage. I reset the undervolt to 0 and Civ 6 runs fine but the temps hit 97c and the fans are running hard.

3. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Whenever you undervolt you need to run prime95 for at least 1 hour to make sure your system is stable. I believe your undervolt was -135 mV? If this is the case, set the undervolt to -120 mV and your system should be stable.

Atma likes this.
  4. dabdoue

dabdoue Newbie

Reputations:
    With the new drivers, are battery life and thermals better? Hopefully these issues were just because of the drivers

Atma likes this.
  5. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Don't know about the battery but thermals aren't better. This is with a -0.100 underclock which is the most I could get stable with Civ 6. These temps are from Civ 6.

[​IMG]

6. dabdoue

dabdoue Newbie

Reputations:
    Wow thats so weird.

Atma likes this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Reducing the undervolt until you don't get the error, but get some benefit to undervolting would work, and see if undervolt ends up being enough to reduce temps, rather than give up completely :)

Do the controls via AMD or MSI Afterburner allow undervolting the Vega GPU? The CPU, iGPU and dGPU are all sharing cooling right next to each other, so if there's something to do for all three to undervolt in combination may be needed.

So goes the cutting edge of technology, new drivers and tuning details will help, maybe someone has posted something to help?

It's a pretty nice kit, so perhaps give it as much time as you can before returning, even call where you got it and explain you'd like to extend the acceptance time to give it a full shot at success, it's worked for me in the past.

Good luck :)

Atma and RampantGorilla like this.
  8. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Atma Are you willing to repaste the laptop? That should reduce temperatures by 10C or so. Along with the undervolt, you should be able to get the CPU temperature into the high 70s. If you're not willing to repaste the laptop, you might want to disable the turbo which will reduce temps drastically. Four cores and eight threads at 3.1GHz should be enough to run any game without problems save perhaps the Amiens maps in Battlefield 1.

Atma and hmscott like this.
  9. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for trying to help. I decided to return for refund and already have it boxed up with an RMA. If I had just bought it for media consumption it would be great, but for that I could get one cheaper I think. It is also a little big and heavy using as a tablet. I really do like it but I think I will just wait and see what else is coming down the pike. I think a 14" would be better for me and I'll just stick to games on my MSI 1070 laptop.

hmscott likes this.
  10. OskieBear

OskieBear Newbie

Reputations:
    I have been using a laptop cooling pad today and turned off short turbo boost as well as set the maximum processor power to 99%. I am getting Rise of the Tomb Raider 1080p on high reaching temperatures in the high 80's for package temperature instead of a near constant 97. I am going to undervolt today and I think that should finish reigning this laptop in for gaming. For all other purposes it seems terrific so far.

Does anyone think having tested it for a few hours at very high temperatures warrants processing an exchange or getting it looked at by their repair people? I am worried I might have done some damage.

Atma likes this.