1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

VAIO Z or VAIO SB?

Discussion in 'Sony' started by Brianho1337, Mar 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fo-fo-fo-fo

fo-fo-fo-fo Newbie

I got my unit replaced twice, so it wasn't a defective unit. It's really that terrible.

2. ota-con

ota-con Notebook Deity

Wow...I am sorry to hear that...

3. fristi

fristi Notebook Guru

You got your unit replaced twice and it has been shipping for only a week or so? :eek:

4. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

what were your specs?

there is also the drivers and bios issue, I remember that when I first changed to linux my gpu would run in a high c-state that it should in a 1.2v and so forth, it wouldnt default to the idle clocks.

5. SoundsGood

SoundsGood Notebook Virtuoso

Wow... is anyone else having this same problem?

6. iibambai

iibambai Newbie

Hi, i have been reading this forum since i started thinking to buy the new sony vaio sb..
    I ordered my custom vaio SB on 9th March and it arrived today (to Spain)
    So now i have it, i must say that the only noise you will hear is just that of the hard disk spinning (which is really really low). I didn't notice any other noise apart from it.

Also, i must say that this laptop is just great!!!

7. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

specs pretty please?

8. iibambai

iibambai Newbie

i5 2520
    Ati 6630
    8 GB RAM

I am really happy with it!everything works like a charm and it's really quiet!
    Still need time to see how the battery performs, but it's fine so far!

9. fo-fo-fo-fo

fo-fo-fo-fo Newbie

I live in Malaysia. Here, sony products are released earlier.

Here are the specs from my (now refunded) sony :

SB16 series SRP RM3,299 (1 090.44 $)

Intel Core i5-2410M Dual Core Processor 2.30 GHz
    4GB DDR3 RAM & 320GB 5400RPM HDD
    DVD Writer
    Mobility Radeon 6470 w/ 512MB DDR3
    13.3 inch wide (WXGA: 1366x768) TFT colour display (VAIO Display, LED backlight)
    web camera (Resolution: 640 x 480, Effective Pixels:0.3Mega pixels)
    Backlit Keyboard & USB3.0 x 1
    VGP-BPS24 Lithium-ion battery: up to 6 hours of use
    1.72 kg

It really breaks my heart, since the noise was the only problem for an otherwise perfect laptop. In malaysia, you can buy an acer with better specs(same i5, 4gb ram, gt540m, 500gb hard drive) for less than 2300 rm (760 $), so I guess I will buy that.

10. kiskapu

kiskapu Notebook Evangelist

Nice specs!

Does the notebook's heat management perform well? Could You please post some temps? TIA!

11. zonules

zonules Notebook Consultant

I may be too late... but DO NOT GET THE Z, esp with 1920x1080 Resolution. I have it on the Z12 and frankly I can not see myself using a screen with a lower resolution. The screen will spoil you make you go through withdrawals if you have to downgrade. Save yourself... while you are still in control!

12. Brianho1337

Brianho1337 Notebook Evangelist

Lol you meant bot to get the SB right?

Anyway I kept my Z and my dad got the SB. I think my Z can serve me well for quite a few years.

13. ForumNewb

ForumNewb Notebook Guru

Hey, ForumNewb here. I'm thinking of buying a vaio SB (i7,6630m+5400rpm 500gb drive) for school purposes (university). With the bios update AND while using the igp, do you think that the fan noise would annoy other students while taking notes?

14. Brianho1337

Brianho1337 Notebook Evangelist

If you're just planning to use the igp with MS Word/Web browsing, then the noise won't be that horrible as I described earlier. However if you're planning to stick with the igp for the whole time then I'd recommend you to get the Thinkpad X220 instead, because it's a much better deal (with +- the same specs other than the GPU)

15. Carlos_milos

Carlos_milos Notebook Consultant

Brianho1337

I'd suggest you keep with the VPCZ13 which you allready have. Its the dogs dangliles

16. bjkj

bjkj Newbie

I need some help. I own a Vaio Z117GG with 8GB RAM 13.1 inch screen and 1920x1080 screen resolution and 256 SSD - I love it. For complicated reasons, I had to purchase it in Singapore and only received a 1-year warranty.

16 months after my purchase several substantial areas of the screen displayed pixel damage, and it is getting worse. My laptop is out of warranty, and living in Sweden there is no repair solution. Or is there?

I have been looking at possibly purchasing a new SB model but don't like it. -It is bigger, heavier, less screen resolution, and apparently with a HHD. And apprently the screen is 13.3 inch with lower resolution and thus bulkier.
    I want my Z "back".

How can I repair/exchange my screen? Or which new line Sony (or other brand) laptop provides the absolutely top specs (8GB RAM, i7core processor, 1920x1080 screen resolution, 13.1-13.3 inch screen) in an ultrportable package? HELP!

17. xxGenericSNxx

xxGenericSNxx Z1 Fanboy

To get to the point, none. Your Z is the only one like it. You should get the screen replaced. I don't know where- but if a computer store can't source the part, I believe there's some screens on eBay. Be prepared to pay ~$500 USD for the screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.