VAIO Z is gone from Sony's US website :(

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by PausaniasX, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dfantau1

dfantau1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i needed a laptop right away so I bought a refurbished VPCZ2390X from the Sony Outlet. I needed 512gb SSD and WWAN and this is the only Z I could find that had both. I paid $1,950USD. From the newer Z's out there I know I have given up Quad Core but I really needed the WWAN feature for traveling. Was this a stupid choice? Any thoughts?

2. ngvuanh

ngvuanh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Does it have PMD?

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

3. dfantau1

Reputations:
    i don't know. How do I check as I don't know what this is?

4. ota-con

ota-con Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    PMD = Power Media Dock
    It's an external unit which houses the optical drive and ATI graphics card and connected to the laptop via a proprietary connector.
    This unit also has a few ports.

5. dfantau1

Reputations:
    Ah, yes it does. It is not blu ray but it is a burner. It also comes with a sheet battery as well. I needed WWAN and a 512gb SSD and this is the only one I could find.

6. jacobkane

jacobkane Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    According to chief product planner Masahiko Suzuki "only the Z-series can surpass the Z-series". With this statement in mind, I do not believe that Sony has any intention to soup the S-series up to the highest possible specifications. The S-series are consumer laptops like the Samsung S9 or the Asus UX32 or the Mac Air, whereas the Z is and has always been a high end series for users who need their their laptop everywhere and all-the time. In my line of work I have to fly about 150k miles per year and as I used to be a die-hard X-series user until the last summer (!), even the SVZ feels too heavy in my bag, but it is still the lightest device out there. Of course the Z is not for everyone, but if you would make a survey in any airport's senator lounge in Asia, you will find out that the Z has a market share of what feels like 25% among the target group of frequent flyers.

7. machacream

machacream Newbie

Reputations:
    ngvuanh is absolutely right - it is not soldered! Look at the 2 empty RAM slot on the mobo picture belo
    Sony Vaio VPCZ2 Intel i7 2640M 2 8GHz SR043 CPU Motherboard MBX 236 A1846276A | eBay
    This takes this RAM.
    Sony Vaio VPCZ2 2GB mm 18 RAM Memory 1 884 670 11 Grade A | eBay

How were you able to find the sony PN A1835658A? I searched high and low for the 4gb with no luck. Can you confirm if that is the correct PN for the 4gb - and if it would work with the VPCZ2 motherboard that take the i7? How did you find it?

8. FenderP

FenderP Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Actually, if you're talking about Japan, whenever I've traveled there and been in the aiports and/or in the lounges here in the USA where there are Japanese people, it's overwhelmingly in Panasonic's favor for the frequent fliers with models like the S/SX and the R or J (which replaced it).

The Z or something like it will come back. Like I mentioned at another point, we seem to be in that transition where we went from the SZ to the VGN-Z and there was a bit of a void. It would make sense that Sony would design around the new Haswell chips and announce after the chips are officially released in June, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see it released in time for September/October and the holiday season based on Japanese refresh cycles.

I do hope that if Sony does do that, they have at least a 12GB max memory option if not 16 and keep the QM processor (or whatever the Haswell equivalent is) as an option. I would love to see it with a touchscreen or better digitizer than the Duo has, but that is more of a wishlist than anything else. The optical track nub would be welcome, too.

9. Geeee

Geeee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I hope you're hunch is right. I would love to see Sony continues its Z legacy.

10. chfshifter

chfshifter Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Anyone have any idea where I can get a SVZ still? I can't find them anywhere, including outlets and ebays (US/UK) !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.