Vaio VGN-Z - Second Hard Drive (or SSD) - Working Solution

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by psyq321, Oct 28, 2008.

1. cenkaetaya

cenkaetaya Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i bought the wrong cable, it was the female version, arg

Upon looking at it now, all the cables i can find have only (2) wires coming from the power. The RED and BLACK
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200219
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    (even though this shows many colors in picture, its actually only red and black, read review)

does this matter? or should i continue looking for one with all the cords?

I am unable to find anywhere in the USA you can purchase the DELOC cord. The other STARTECH cord i found only has the two (red/black) power cords. This is the only one i can find in the usa.

some help would be greatly appreciated, i really dont want to buy the wrong cord again.

2. agathos

agathos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, i think it doesn't really matter if there is only black and red power cable present. the Slimlinesata only uses a 5v for its power which is the black and red cable. The other black and yellow/orange (which is not present in the slimeline sata to sata converter cable in the startech one), is for a 12v power setting (yellow) and 3.3V (orange) ~CMIIW~, so it doesn't quite matter. For reference on SATA cables tech you can look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA it has a good information on sata cable.

btw here is my setting for the second hard drive:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm using a slimlinesata to Sata converter that i get from a 9.5 mm hard drive drive caddy (purchase it on newmodeusa). At first i want to use the wiring set-up but after a long thought i don't like how the wire loom around the internal of my notebook and decided to use a converter board instead :D the hard drive i'm using is samsung 320GB SATA with 8mb of cache.

3. Avor

Avor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was looking forward to pulling this trick on my SZ to add an SSD to my setup, but found that my Optical Drive is actually ATAPI, which kind of blows. Any idea if a SlimATAPI => SATA setup is possible?

4. cenkaetaya

cenkaetaya Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  5. yehob

yehob Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    does the hard drive you added ever stop spinning?
    doesn't it suck a lot of power?
    is there a way to turn it off?

6. HDTV4me

HDTV4me Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I did this mode using aftermarket HD caddy that was made to fit into 9.5 mm optical drive slot:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Hard-drive-C...h=item518a8cd7cb&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&afsrc=1
    No need to mess with wires and it fits and covers opening on the side pretty good. I put SSD in the caddy and it's my boot drive. No vibration from SSD. HD is still where it was before with rubber bumpers protecting from vibration. I'm sure u can turn it off by disabling. No issues except that installation was a bit tricky since it was hard to open the laptop and u have to be carefull with keyboard flex cable. Battery life is still great.
    I ordered external Blu-ray drive and will use it on rare ocasion that I need to burn a DVD or watch a movie from optical media. Since I use laptop on my laps I prefer not to have vibrating optical drive inside the laptop.

7. das_ubersoldat

das_ubersoldat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    is a 7200rpm drive officially compatible with the Z590?

8. Metsn

Metsn Maiku Hama Yokohama

Reputations:
    The 1st gen Z was officially sold with both 5400 and 7200 rpm. But you are not officially allowed to change the HDD by yourself ;)

9. gusf1

gusf1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I know this thread is a little old but check this out - I think it is the answer to my prayers!!! :-D

Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy (OBHD9-SATA-B), Black, 9.5mm [OBHD9-SATA-B] - $42.00 : NewmodeUS, Hard Drive Caddys for Notebooks

Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy (OBHD9-SATA-B), Black, 9.5mm
    $42.00
    Add a Second Hard Drive to your laptop using your laptop's optical drive bay. This is a great solution for those that want to add a second hard drive in their laptop. This device/caddy will fit in a "standard 9.5mm height" CD/DVD/Optical drive bay found in laptop computers. Simply pull out your CD/DVD drive and replace it with our OBHD Optical Bay Hard Drive caddy. This is a really sharp-looking well-engineered product. The front faceplate is finished in black. The metal bracket is finished in a nice silver sheen. Please note that this hard drive caddy will fit "standard"/"universal" CD/DVD/Optical Drive bays.

10. dannyaml

dannyaml Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if this works with the sony vaio VPCZ122GX model?