1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Vaio VGN-TZ190N/BC - SSD upgrade possible?

Discussion in 'Sony' started by thecalyx, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zetsurin

zetsurin Notebook Enthusiast

Hey, zimbros12, are you able to run a CrystalDiskMark on your photofast? I understand the photofast is about the fastest PATA ZIF SSD on the market, but is it being throttled by the TZ's poor interface?

Do you have any experience booting off your 2.5" HDD? I'm curious how performance of 2.5" SATA HDD compares with 1.8" PATA SSD. Granted the SSD will always rule in terms of seek time, I'm suspecting the performance would be quite similar.

I saw a 2nd hand TZ here in Japan yesterday for ~$650 and it's the model with the 64GB samsung SSD + a HDD. It's sadly getting hard to justify the incredible cost of the SSDs alone given I'm just looking to get onto an entry level capacity. My TZ is already 2 years old so I know my luck it will die as soon as I spend more money on it :p

2. zimbros12

zimbros12 Notebook Deity

From the top of my head last time I run I got >>

SEQ 91XX 73XX
    512k 84XX 31XX
    4k 15XX 4XX

++++

Booting from my HDD > not yet.Trying to figure out how>
    Came across this
    ???????????:?EasyBCD??????typeT(TZ????)??????????????
    but the Japanese translation is a bit confusing.Working on it

3. CALBenzo

CALBenzo Notebook Enthusiast

I could have swore I read somewhere that, for whatever reason, the interface of the TZ would limit the read/write speeds, other than for the Samsung SSD's. I still have my old TZ195 with the brand new Runcore drive, and I'm only 32/31 mb/s seq. read/write from CrystalMarkDisk?????

4. zimbros12

zimbros12 Notebook Deity

The RUNCORE

runcore.PNG

5. CALBenzo

CALBenzo Notebook Enthusiast

Is this in your TZ?? Puzzling why my seq. read/writes are more than half that???

I know I have the latest firmware installed on the Runcore.

6. zimbros12

zimbros12 Notebook Deity

No mine is a PHOTOFAST.Why don't you emai RUNCORE or start a thread why ur getting low readings at this site >>

Runcore

7. zimbros12

zimbros12 Notebook Deity

On page #24 the screenshot was from a 128GB

This is from a 64GB so ur readings should be somewhat close.

run2.PNG

8. zetsurin

zetsurin Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks for posting those performance stats zimbros12. Hmmm, still tempted to get a small SSD. Based on your link, it looks like that guy used an Mtron drive, so at least I know those are compatible as well. On the Japanese auction sites I can get a 64GB photofast for about $200 (2nd hand though I believe), so that could be an option.

UPDATE: Received a respomse to a query about compatability from Kingspec:

Now, factoring in that Kingspec costs about $112 US only (new), you can virtually afford to buy a new one each year if it dies...

UPDATE 2: Just spotted a Samsung SSD from a TZ (32GB) on ebay which I picked up for $95. At least I know it's compatible.

9. tmorrow24

tmorrow24 Notebook Enthusiast

Can anybody confirm if these are 40pin or 44pin that we need to look for in replacing SSD? My 32GB SSD just gets too full no matter how hard i try to keep junk off of it. i need 64 or even 128 would be ideal, but all i know is 1.8" zif...no idea how many pins and have seen threads on both 40 and 44. confirmation would be terrific. thanks

10. zimbros12

zimbros12 Notebook Deity

40 :) ------ >> zif.PNG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.