1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

VAIO TZ Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by ubercool, Jun 13, 2007.

1. ubercool

ubercool Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I thought I would start this thread, because I'm sure they'll be a lot of TZ questions. I just got mine from Dynamism and so far all I can say it's mind-blowingly small and light. Screen is fantastic too, as previously reported.

Unfortunately, the SSD is already filled with 15GB of stuff, but Vista (Windows folder) is only 7.8GB, so that's not the problem. Dynamism only includes a few apps on the disk:

1. Office 2007 OEM -- this must be the pig, because it has things like Business Contact Manager, etc. I will try to deal with this first.

2. Skype, Adobe Reader 8, SonicStage -- these should all be useful so I can leave them alone.

Fire away! :cool:

2. Rahul

Rahul Wanna get the LG G Flex 2

Reputations:
    Will you be conducing a full review soon? Nah, I'm sure you will. : )

3. ubercool

ubercool Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep, I will. First impression: The SSD makes Vista performance entirely acceptable, so I'm going to leave well enough alone and just use it! Funny, the TZ runs just about as fast as my ASUS VX2 did, and that's telling you something! :D

4. Xspringe

Xspringe Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Congratulations!

I'd be very grateful if you can provide us with some battery life info once you have some time available.

5. ubercool

ubercool Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    At full brightness and with Wi-Fi on, it looks like the standard battery can almost reach five hours, so it might be possible to squeeze six hours out of it with power savings applied. :)

6. ubercool

ubercool Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Windows Vista start-up time until the last task-tray icon has loaded and the SSD kinda stops flickering: 1 minute. Not too shabby, I'd say. :)

7. bmnotpls

bmnotpls Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For Adobe reader, try FOXIT. Its tiny..

8. Outrigger

Outrigger SupaStar Reviewer NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    when you say standard, do you mean the medium battery or the default lightweight one?

9. ubercool

ubercool Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Medium battery, not light one.

10. Xspringe

Xspringe Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks! is this with other power savings engaged as well? E.g. bluetooth off, CPU on minimum etc.

11. Ch28Kid

Ch28Kid Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    picture please!!

thank you!

12. Rahul

Reputations:
    Which lid color did you get? I think you got Premium Carbon? Did you get the optical drive or 160gb hard drive? And I apologize for asking so many questions and repeating some in the past, I won't be annoying now ubercool.

13. ubercool

ubercool Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I got the carbon fiber, the SSD/DVD combination. It's in the Windows Update process now, that will take some time. :rolleyes:

14. ubercool

ubercool Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Battery update. It's fully charged now and when I checked the meter, it said 5:10 left. That's with screen at full brightness, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on. :)

15. ubercool

ubercool Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had to remove Dynamism's OEM version of Office 2007, since my Office 2007 Pro key did not work with it. :mad:

In the process, I gained 1GB in weight. Why I don't know. I just deleted 2GB in "Hibernation Files" so that brought me back to 14GB used, 16GB left. Talk about putting your system on a diet! :eek: :D

16. grisjuan

grisjuan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you just delete the files or did you turn off the restore points /shadow copy stuff?

I found that turning that off completely got me back several GB and gave me a bit of a performance boost on my SZ.

17. ubercool

ubercool Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No I used Disk Clean Up to simply delete those files. If it's gonna hurt my performance, I don't want to know about it! :p

I just turned AERO off to see if it would lift my WEI from 2.0, but no dice, it stayed at the same place (determined by lowest score), so I turned AERO back on. Besides, this lappy is nice and fast, unbelievable what a difference an SSD makes! It's like a tad slower than my ASUS VX2 was, but without acting like a 6.2 lb. heatsink! :eek:

18. Rahul

Reputations:
    Was it you that also has a Vaio G or was it someone else here? :confused:

19. ubercool

ubercool Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, that's Fender I believe. ;)

20. balto

balto Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey Uber I am so jealous. I mine was suppose to ship today, when i called they said that they were having major issues with the imaging. I said I would take my not imaged with the US Vista and I would do it myselft. They then told me that they didn't have any of my config in stock... Kinda pissed I am off on a business trip next week and now I am going to have to wait until mid next week before the unit ships... I hope it is worth the wait :)