1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Vaio Recovery Center

Discussion in 'Sony' started by MCLAREN369, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MCLAREN369

MCLAREN369 Notebook Enthusiast

Is there a way I can download the program. I accidentally uninstalled:( it and would like it back to make recovery disks.

2. pck83

pck83 Notebook Consultant

i'm not sure, tried searching on the sony site?

Is it possible to boot from the recovery disk and do a recovery from there?

3. NinjaNoodles

NinjaNoodles Notebook Evangelist

The Recovery Center only works on the computer it was intended for. If your computer has a recovery partition, you can use that to do a full factory reset. You can also order a recovery disk from Sony if you don't feel like reformatting.

4. pck83

pck83 Notebook Consultant

won't he need to recovery centre to recover the computer?

5. ScuderiaConchiglia

ScuderiaConchiglia NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

No. If the hidden partition is still there all he needs to do is power up the machine and as it is booting up hit the F10 Key. (That's the procedure on the FZ series and I believe it is the same on the others as well.)

Gary

6. sA x sKy

sA x sKy Notebook Consultant

If you want to recover the computer to factory settings, will the pre-installed software like Microsoft Office Home/Student be deleted as well?

7. ScuderiaConchiglia

It will return the machine to exactly the same state it was in when you took it out of the box. Whatever was on your machine then is what you will have after a "recovery". Anything you added (including the virus) will be GONE. It literally wipes the hard drive clean.

Gary

8. sA x sKy

Okay I am doing that right now haha. Thanks so much for this vital piece of info!

9. sA x sKy

Alright my computer seems to to go amazingly fast now! Took awhile but it was well worth it. Now I have to reuninstall the bloatware=[

10. NinjaNoodles

Follow the guide in my signature. It can take a few hours, but it's worth it.

Leaves absolutely no trace of the bloatware on your system, because it prevents it from installing in the first place. This is much better than simply removing the programs.

11. MCLAREN369

MCLAREN369 Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks for all the help. I contacted Sony support and was informed that I can't download the vaio recovery center from anywhere. So I ended up paying for the recovery disks. Even though I got ripped off (disks cost $28 plus shipping and tax), I felt the disks will be worth it if something did happen that required me to use them. BTW, Sony support also informed me that recovery disks can not be made without the Vaio Recovery center so I had no other option.

12. Nanaki

Nanaki Notebook Evangelist

The Japanese discs cost around 6000 Yen, which is ~$50 US. So, Sony USA is not charging that much.

13. ScuderiaConchiglia

Had you already deleted the "hidden partition" as well? If not, you could have imaged your existing hard drive, restored from the hidden partition (by hitting F10 during a boot), create the DVD set, restore your drive from the image. A long process, yes but it would save you the $$$.

Gary

14. dsg2003gt

dsg2003gt Notebook Consultant

actually the part about the recovery center file not working on a different comp is wrong.

as long as you have the partition still left on the drive you can use a copy of the recovery center on any computer.

I know this because I made a copy of recovery center from an FE and last night I used it on my FZ. Worked fine.

15. QwertyytrewQ

QwertyytrewQ Notebook Enthusiast

after creating the recovery disc the partition is of no use(virtually) one can easily delete it & can reclaim that 20 gb+- space

16. NinjaNoodles

More like 7GB.

17. QwertyytrewQ

but my CR is showing hard disk space after deducting almost 20 gb from it. although i have 80 gb hdd but computer shows only 62 gb that's why my wild guess i guess :) n after creating recovery disk i am going to delete it fully

18. ScuderiaConchiglia

First, it's only 7 gig (on an FZ series machine) not 20. Second it can still be VERY useful if you loose or damage your Recovery DVD's.

Gary

19. ScuderiaConchiglia

It's not all due to the recovery partition. If you have been uninstalling and installing applications (as most of us do in the first few days) the rest of that 18 gig is most likely Vista System Restore points. I am guessing you have 7 gigs of Recovery Partition and 11 gigs of System Restore points. If you are hell bent on deleting the hidden partition, I;d be sure to make TWO copies of the recovery DVD's and hide one set in a really safe place.

Gary

20. QwertyytrewQ

but i think the operating system in those recovery disks(+ carefully secured in that partition) is a sheer waste of MHz & MBs. bloatwares are not useful for every one(or atleast for those who knows something better).now it looks like that after u purchase a laptop firstly create recovery dvd--secondly delete partition and that os n install fresh os from market only then u will have the full power of ur laptop working for u. IMHO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.