Vaio Pro 13 Windows 10 Update Experience

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by w11184, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Somnio

Somnio Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, confirmed the mouse pointer behavior, seems to be by design, perhaps because the notebook has a touchscreen.

2. Kain

Kain Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks.

Do you think Sony will fix all the current issues the VAIO Pro 13 has with Windows 10 or is Sony done with providing updates and whatnot? If you think they will continue to fix issues, any idea if ClearAudio will return in Windows 10?

3. Somnio

Reputations:
    Well, to be fair, I don't have any problems with specific Sony-hardware and Windows 10.
    - Weak wifi disconnections are gone
    - Touchpad works OK out-of-the-box
    - Adaptive backlight works OK
    - Keyboard backlight works OK
    - Battery care works OK
    - Battery life seems OK, no real improvements here but none expected

The only thing I miss is Clearaudio, and I'm not sure about the nature of the problem. If this is about drivers, perhaps we can expect some magic fix in the future; but if this requires reengineering, seems unlikely that Sony is going to fix it :(

On the Vaio Community people is downgrading the drivers to restore sound quality http://community.sony.com/t5/VAIO-W...-drivers-that-work-with-windows-10/m-p/516334 I didn't tested it, so, if you want to try be careful and always create a restore point before messing with drivers.

4. Kain

Kain Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am trying to install the "Hard Drive" drivers from the following link for Windows 10 64-bit:

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/mode...te_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab

After I double-click the downloaded file, it extracts the files but the installer never starts. I found the folder where it extracts the files and it is empty. I've tried double-clicking it several times and each time it extracts the files but no installer starts or is present on the computer. However, do I even need the Intel SATA AHCI drivers or can I just live with the standard Microsoft drivers? My SSD seems to be performing fine as it is.

5. Somnio

Reputations:
    Hi!
    Yes, I didn't bother with the Intel drivers, since the Microsoft is now providing real Intel drivers (no just generic ones), and they seems to be up-to-date.

Mine reads: Intel 8 Series Chipset Family Controller SATA AHCI version 12.8.0.1016

If you have a generic MS one, try right-clicking and selecting "update".

6. Somnio

Reputations:
    I'm investigating a bit about the audio quality on the Vaio, and found something weird.

Currently windows update install drivers version 6.0.1.7564 by Realtek Semiconductor Corp. This drivers sound awful, and have an enhancements tab that look like this:

[​IMG]

Based on this post on Sony Community forums http://community.sony.com/t5/VAIO-W...-drivers-that-work-with-windows-10/m-p/516334 I started to test with other driver versions.
    I installed versions 10.0.10586.0 by Microsoft (usually available if you rollback the previous driver) and 6.0.1.7469 by Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
    Those drivers sound so much better! This is the enhancements pane I have using both of them:

[​IMG]

So, seems that the driver downloaded by Windows Update, even if the version number is kind of similar, has a very different implementation of the sound system, perhaps more specific to Windows 10.
    The problem now is that if you rollback or install another driver, Windows Update reinstalls the specific Windows 10 driver again and again.

7. galaxyge

galaxyge Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not if you prevent MS from messing around with your drivers by disabling WU for third party apps and drivers.
    Might have to redo it at next half -yearly version update though..

8. Kain

Kain Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Since we are on the sound topic, I was wondering if the new non-Sony VAIO laptops have ClearAudio? Since it is a Sony thing, I am assuming "no" because VAIO is no longer part of Sony?

9. galaxyge

galaxyge Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Cannot comment on that, I do use my laptop for hd audio.. but it's only an old Vaio Z, now on Windows 10.

10. ascariss

ascariss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My upgrade experience is mostly positive. Before win 10, the gestures on the trackpad didn't always work and reinstalling drivers or rolling back drivers was too much of a hassle on 8.1 Now on win 10 no issues with the trackpad, works like a charm. I had to install the intel graphics driver myself since I noticed after the initial win 10 upgrade the laptop would crash or hang at times, after the intel gfx update no such issues have appeared.

Everything else works fine, some apps have problems on win 10 but that is an issue of the app and not the OS. Generally feel that win 10 should have been the OS to be released after 8 but better late than never. I've been using Edge a lot more now, I feel it runs faster than chrome or FF and is less of a memory hog but. I'll look into the sata drivers to see what version windows installed.

seems my sata drivers are from 21/06/2006, 10.0.10586.0, can't seem to update it either using windows update or the file from sony.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016