Vaio Pro 13 Windows 10 Update Experience

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by w11184, Aug 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kain

Kain Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I posted this in the VAIO Pro 13 Owner's thread but thought I should post it here as well to get some feedback quicker:

I have the SVP13226PXB.

I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and let Windows Update install all the drivers and stuff. I did not install anything on my own. There is still one thing in Device Manager that does not have a driver and I can't seem to figure out what it is.

Secondly, today I noticed that the mouse was right-clicking on its own on the desktop. I had to move around on the trackpad and click it a couple of times and the issue went away. Not sure what happened here. Not sure if it will come back either.

Lastly, I've also noticed that when the screen goes to sleep at the desktop (without a lock screen) and I wake up the screen by moving the mouse, there is no pointer on the screen. I have to keep motioning down on the trackpad till I reach the taskbar and then I can see the mouse pointer on the screen. Every time this happens, I have to keep dragging down on the trackpad till I reach the taskbar and then suddenly the mouse pointer shows up.

Also, I really miss the ClearAudio presets I had in Windows 8.1. They really enhanced the sound. Now it just sounds like every other laptop.

I'm debating whether or not to just sell it and get another ultrabook that has "proper" Windows 10 support (something I really don't want to do because I love the design of the VAIO Pro 13)

2. Somnio

Somnio Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I believe this is the "Sony Firmware Extension Device Parser" You can download it here https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/mode...te_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab under "System Components" (remember to switch to Windows 10 64).
    I can recommend also install the Share Library and the Vaio Update service, since Sony is still providing updates for Windows 10.
    You can also install the Vaio Control Center, but only if you want the dynamic backlight, battery care and fan noise features.

Not sure if you're talking about an external mouse or the clickpad. ¿Can you provide more information?

Yeah, same here. I'm using the built-in equalizer, but is not the same. I was looking into alternatives, but I don't have time to play with them right now. For example, there are a bunch of auto-equializers like (http://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/). Also, Realtek provides sound enhancement support using Maxx Audio (by Waves), but not all systems are compatible.

3. Kain

Kain Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply!

I'll try downloading and installing the "Sony Firmware Extension Device Parser" and see if it deals with the unknown device in Device Manager.

Regarding your question on whether I was talking about an external mouse or the clickpad, I was referring to the clickpad. I've never used an external mouse with this laptop.

Also, anything on this:

4. Somnio

Reputations:
    Yes, that's weird. I have no problems with my clickpad, in fact, works so much better than 8.1.
    Take a look on "Program and Features" to see if you have the Synaptics drivers already installed. If you see it there, uninstall it, reboot and wait for Windows Update to reinstall the driver.

About the mouse pointer problem, could be related to the Synaptics drivers, but also perhaps Intel video drivers. I can suggest to open the device manager, right click on every "Intel" driver listed there and select "update driver". Let Windows to look for new versions online. You can do this AFTER the Synaptics driver reinstallation, so you can also search for new Synaptics drivers.

5. Kain

Kain Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    OK, installing the "Sony Firmware Extension Device Parser" fixed the unknown device issue in Device Manager. I also installed the Shared Library. I didn't get the self right-clicking clickpad this time but I still do have the disappearing mouse pointer after waking the screen up from sleep (not the whole laptop but just the screen's sleep mode). Didn't have time to uninstall and reinstall the drivers like you said but will try later.

By the way, if I want to install the VAIO Update software, do I have to install some older version before installing the latest one from Sony's website? I think that's what the instructions said prior to the download.

6. Somnio

Reputations:
    Try first right-clicking the drivers on the Device Manager, and update them online. Many drivers (Intel in particular) have new versions.

Yes, but I just installed the latest one for my model. The installer will tell you if it needs a previous version.

Talking about odd things, one thing I noticed immediately after Win10 installation, prior to software/drivers download, was the power light blinking red after sometime of inactivity. I learned this could be an indicator of standby mode, but after drivers/software installation, it is not longer reproducible, and I don't have any suspend/standby option on the power settings.

7. Kain

Kain Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks again.

However, I did my clean install of Windows 10 about two weeks ago. Shouldn't Windows Update already have installed the latest drivers? I have yet to search for updates through Device Manager due to time but will try on the weekend.

8. Somnio

Reputations:
    Windows update usually have some stable version of the drivers, and they tend not to push incremental updates but for critical flaws, but they usually keep somewhat updated versions of the drivers on the database online. So, if you explicit check for a new driver, Windows update seeks for the latest version, not the "stable" one.

9. Kain

Kain Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks. Didn't know that. Anyway, I tried manually updating the Synaptics and Intel HD drivers through Device Manager. Both said they are already up-to-date. Haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling them just yet. By the way, that self-clicking clickpad issue hasn't come back yet but the disappearing mouse pointer is still here. However, I noticed it only disappears when I first boot the laptop and leave it at the desktop without moving the mouse. When you first boot into Windows and don't move the mouse, the mouse pointer stays hidden till you move the mouse. If I boot into Windows, don't touch the mouse (i.e. the mouse is hidden on the desktop) and let the screen go to sleep, upon waking the screen the mouse pointer stays hidden till I move it to the taskbar. If, however, the mouse pointer is on the screen already and then the screen goes to sleep, upon waking the screen the mouse pointer will be there. Not a huge issue it seems.

10. Somnio

Reputations:
    About the drivers, if the online update tells you that there are no new versions, then is fine.

BTW my version numbers are:
    HD Graphics 10.18.15.4279
    Intel 8 Series Chipset SATA 12.8.0.1016
    Intel Dual Band Wireless N-7260 18.21.0.2
    Realtek HD audio 6.0.1.7564
    Intel CPPC 1.0.0.1018
    Intel Management Engine Interface 11.0.0.1157
    Synaptics Clickpad 19.0.15.2

About the mouse pointer, I'm going to check on my side, but, you know, the Windows 10 lock screen is currently a bit buggy, and I've experienced other problems after sleep or hibernation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.