Vaio Pro 13 Windows 10 Update Experience

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by w11184, Aug 7, 2015.

1. w11184

w11184 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have taken the plunge and updated my Vaio Pro 13 to Windows 10, so I thought I would share my experience with everyone.

To start off with, my laptop has the latest drivers from Sony installed. (i.e. There is nothing pending in the Vaio Update app) After the update I have only come across a small number of issues and they are:

Hardware

Fixed Hardware Issues

• Bluetooth was not working (this was fixed by downloading the latest driver from Intel directly)
    • Touchscreen is partially working - For example, I cannot scroll, zoom in/out or swipe in from left/right using the touchscreen. (This is fixed by following the steps here: http://www.egalax.com.tw/Win10Update.html)

Software

Whilst certainly usable the current version of Windows 10 is still buggy but the bugs are not catastrophic. Certain examples are:
    • Clicking on an email notification in the action center does not open the message if it's from Outlook, only works for the mail app. Not sure if this is by design.
    • Right clicking on the start button to open the shortcuts for some reasons show the Windows Explorer option as "3 - Windows Explorer"
    • Action Centre has recently refused to open (was working but now stopped working again)

Fixed Software Issues

• Logonui error on going to sleep - Seems to have resolved itself
    • Pinned favourites folders in the new mail app keeps unpinning themselves - Seems to have resolved itself
    • Fuzzy Texts (Application Scaling) - If there is a desktop application that is displaying fuzzy texts then try going into the application shortcut properties > compatibility > tick "DIsable display scaling on high DPI settings".
    • Clicking on search results that is from the Windows store does not open the link (fixed in latest update)
    • Cortana - I am in the UK and there is no Cortana. (works by downloading the UK language pack, INCLUDING the UK text to speech pack)

It would be great if you have experience for some of these issues and let everyone know if you found the solution to them.

I hope this helps!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  2. Primes

Primes Chrome OS Wizard

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info!

3. ilostelrooy

ilostelrooy Newbie

Reputations:
    I got mine working too SVP1322A4E, Bluetooth was working but touch screen still not working after applying your fix above. For Cortana you have to download UK language pack separately before it works. My big problem is with the display when playing videos with native built in apps like film and tv, I get distorted colours on the right side of the screen or with the latest display driver update I get highly noisy image. Even xbox streaming gives same effect. However vlc win 32 runs all videos smoothly.

4. w11184

w11184 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the tip! I manage to get Cortana working now.
    That's interesting about the video issues, I am running the CPU with the intel hd 4400 so the drivers might different. Have you tried downloading the driver directly from Intel? Many people have also manage to fix it by rolling back the driver.

5. psam

psam Newbie

Reputations:
    Here you van find a solution for the distorted video on the right side of the screen:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-upgrade/c876cbd2-9b5c-4135-aa57-d7e33c6f9147

6. e.v.o

e.v.o Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    mimosoft likes this.
  7. Somnio

Somnio Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi!

I upgraded my SVP1321 from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 1511, following Sony's instructions.

My initial environment was:
    - Windows 8.1 fully updated
    - OEM recovery partition removed
    - Windows 10 updated using the option "remove apps and users files"

The idea was that after the Windows 10 update, Vaio Update was going to execute and download/update tools and drivers, but that never happened, perhaps because I selected a clean upgrade.

I decided to install the original Vaio Control Center & Power Manager package for Windows 8 64 bits, and then the latest Sony Vaio Update. Vaio Update detected a downloaded a new version of Sony Vaio Control Center.

Then I opened the Device Manager and started to update the Intel drivers from the Microsoft repository.

My final version numbers are:
    • Sony Firmware Extension Parser - 8.0.2.5
    • Sony Shared Library - 6.1.0.02040
    • Vaio Control Center - 6.2.17.09140
    • Vaio Update - 7.1.0.08060
    • Intel HD Graphics - 10.18.15.4256
    • NXP Driver - 6.6.0.0
    • Intel CPPC - 1.0.0.1018
    • Intel Management Engine Interface - 11.0.0.1157
    • Realteck HD Audio - 6.0.1.7564
    • Intel Smart Connect Technology - 1.0.8.0
    • Intel Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller - 12.8.0.1016
    Problems:
    Very few so far.
    Vaio Control Center has a couple of options missing:
    • Image quality: no image quality presets (vivid, etc)
    • Sound quality: missing altogether. I miss the sound presets, the "music" one was very good.
    • The most important ones, like battery care and adaptive brightness seems to work ok.

I believe that sometimes after suspend/hibernate, the brightness setting resets to 100%, but I'm not sure.

Todo:
    Intel Smart Connect Technology: driver seems very old.
    Intel Series SATA AHCI: not sure if worth to install Intel Rapid Storage Technology 14.6.0.1029
    Vaio Control Center: investigate missing features.

8. Somnio

Reputations:
  9. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My experience so far - everything works great EXCEPT for the damn battery life... now the batteries get drained in no time, literally within an hour, hour and a half of using the laptop. As in, something is totally jacked in Win 10 that's just not playing along well with the battery.

Anyone else experience this?

10. Somnio

Reputations:
    I didn't do any tests on battery. Seems similar to the Windows 8 performance, but I'm using the battery care function that prevents the battery to reach 100%.

I'll keep an eye, but I can recommend:
    - On task manager -> details tab -> right-click and select the CPU Time column. Sort by this column and keep an eye on CPU usage over time. (In my system Windows Defender is almost always on top, which is weird)
    - Open the Services Manager, and take a look at anything named Sony... In my system I have a Sony Control Center helper (running), but also a Sony Power Manager that is always disabled.
    - Take a look at the advanced power functions.

Something interesting about power manager: when I first installed Windows 10, I found the power button blinking orange a couple of times. That I believe is the standby mode, and never happened ever on Windows 8. After installing Sony's base package (Control center + power management + shared library), the system no longer enters standby.