VAIO FW Clean Windows 7 Install Guide

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by mcgregor, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScuderiaConchiglia

ScuderiaConchiglia NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    PLEASE CREATE A NEW THREAD. This thread is about Windows 7 on an FW model. Your questions have nothing to do with this thread.

Gary

2. redius

redius Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok sorry for that
    well i just upgraded and installed windows seven on my tx92ps and i got big surpise, the wifi works perfectly, the sounds and graphics too but i still cant use the FN key and the AV mode key any one got the sollution?
    I tryed to install the sony notebook utility from sony us support website , and when tryed to install it ,it says to me this software is not suitable for your device
    i choosed driver of the same model of mine but americsn one , you see i have a japanese model and i cant find anywhere his driver
    can anyone here helps me please ?

3. ScuderiaConchiglia

Reputations:
    Since Rachel is helping you in the other thread, I think you are better off restricting the conversation to that thread since this thread is for FW model users. Again, thanks for starting the new thread.

Gary

4. 143voltron

143voltron Newbie

Reputations:
    Scuderia-

I am a new member and I'm going to try to install win 7 on my vgn-fw139e. I've looked around and nobody really talks about installing it on that model. Do you any pontential problems that I might have?

5. J&SinKTO

J&SinKTO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    143voltron: Run the upgrade advisor (as recommended on this note from Sony on your model)
    http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/os7upgrade.pl?mdl=VGNFW139E
    Then Sony does have a specific order of drivers to make the various function keys work. Here was the order (from Sony) for my FW285 model (see link below). Worked fine. Many of the drivers will be picked up by WIN 7, some you'll need in advance (just use the drivers from Sony's page if they offer WIN 7 for your model, if not use the Vista drivers - they will work). Just be sure to grab the 32 bit or 64 bit versions. Here's the clean install driver order for Sony:
    http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/support-info.pl?info_id=507

6. ScuderiaConchiglia

Reputations:
    I have no experience with the FW series only the FZ. But I should think you would be able to follow the same guidelines as any other FW model. The only caveat would be you might need some specific drivers different than those mentioned in the guide. For example the guide may call for a particular wireless card driver and you may have a different card. But that should be the extent of the "issues" you might run into.

Gary

7. 143voltron

143voltron Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for lending a hand. I have read and read a couple of threads and I get what I am suppose to do but a couple of questions. I went to esupport and sony recommended some devices that I need but when I went to download them like the bluetooth driver they didn't have them for win 7? Do I just download the drivers for vista?

8. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Read the first page of this thread.

9. 143voltron

143voltron Newbie

Reputations:
    Cool guy thanx, but I noticed that the drivers are for 64-bit, does it matter if I'm installing the 32-bit?

10. efrain_lopez

efrain_lopez Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just did a clean install of Win 7 pro 64 bits on a FW21Z following the thread #167 and it was very easy.

At first, I did not aks to format my vista drive so that it keept some folders. I assumed it was wrong and I reinstalled win7 over again, but this time I did format C:

My laptop is running very fast and I am loving Win7. I regreat about not doing it before, because my laptop was too slow with Vista.

The only thing I could not figure out was something about a Firmware that needed to be updated, no idea.

My windows performance index is 4.9 due to my low velocity HD, so now I am thinking about upgrading it.

Having said that, I just want to thank you a lot for this guide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.