VAIO FW Clean Windows 7 Install Guide

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by mcgregor, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcgregor

mcgregor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    VAIO FW Clean Windows 7 Install Guide
    by mcgregor
    [​IMG]

Screenshot

Demo Video:

width='425' height='344'><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Ig84VQBR0k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Ig84VQBR0k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width='425' height='344'></embed></object>​

This guide is based in technical sony support articles and the excellent work of roninwz's Vaio FW Clean Vista Install Guide, adapted to get Clean Windows 7 Beta Install (bloatware free) with the complete functionality of the built in shortcut and Fn keys(volume +/-, mute, magnify, brightness control).

Although, it differs from Vista, in the order and the install methods for the drivers. The installation order is crucial, I spend a lot of hours finding the correct order/method.

1. First of all, create your restore DVD using VAIO Recovery Center.
    2. Now, get Windows 7 Beta x86 from Microsoft Customer Preview Program and Get Your Windows 7 Beta Product Key.

NOTICE: The Beta will stop working on August 1, 2009 [more info]
    3. Go to sony support and download all the VISTA drivers for your VAIO FW. Extract all the installers in a folder, using Uniextract, just like roninwz explained. [see the Instructions section, numbers: 3), 4) and 5)]. Although you may no need the SATA driver, because Windows 7 already have it.
    4. Save your drivers in a thumb USB drive or CD-R/DVD-R.
    5. Create your Windows 7 Beta x86 Install DVD, burning the ISO that you got from microsoft site. Use Nero, or ImgBurn.
    6. Boot up your laptop through Windows 7 DVD.
    7. Choose your language, region.Then press the Install button. Choose Custom Installation (NO UPDATE).

You will see all the partitions in your hard disk. Leave "Recovery" partition alone! do not touch it is your Recovery OEM.
      Select your C:\ partition, click in Drive Options and Format the partition. Finally select C:\ and click Next.

Let windows 7 Installation completes, it will restart several times before you have control.
    8. Run Windows Update and install all the recommended Updates.

Install Methods Explained

• manual. This is the most complicated method using the device manager. Press windows key + R, write: devmgmt.msc. From the device tree, select the device and click with the right mouse button and click in Update driver option. Then choose install from a file or location, and browse and select the folder driver manually (often TEMPEXEFOLDER or TEMPEXEFOLDER\Vista), press OK and the installation begins and completes automatically.
    • compatibility mode You need to run the Installer using compatibility mode set to Vista [more info]. The drivers are compatible, so you don't have to worry about it. ;)
    • Installer. Just run the Installer in the TEMPEXEFOLDER.

Installation Order

Now, this is the tricky part you MUST install the drivers and VAIO Utilities in the following order and specific [method]:

1. Sony Shared Library [installer]
    2. Sony Utility / Notebook Utilities
      3.1. BC (no install, no needed, yagh)​
      3.2. SUS, aka Setting Utility Series. Go to the Folder Extracted from the Notebook Utilities Installer (P.E. G:\DriversFWVista\SNUtilities\TEMPEXEFOLDER\SUS), \SUS and run the [installer]
      3.3. VCC aka VAIO Control Center. Go to the Folder Extracted from the Notebook Utilities Installer (P.E. G:\DriversFWVista\SNUtilities\TEMPEXEFOLDER\VCC), \VCC and run the [installer]
    3. Chipset Intel Driver [compatibility mode]
    4. ICH9-E/M SATA AHCI do the [manual] method, this device is on the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers section in the device manager
    5. Video: ATI Driver [installer]
    6. Realtek Audio Driver
      6.1. Realtek Sound Card Driver [compatibility mode]
      6.2. Realtek HDMI Sound Driver [compatibility mode]
    7. Ethernet [manual])
    8. Intel Wireless. Download latest Intel Wireless drivers from their site, and do the manual install.
    9. Modem [manual]
    10. Bluetooth [compatibility mode]
    11. Touch pad [manual]
    12. Memory Stick Driver. Is the &#8220;Base System Device&#8221; in the Unknown Device section, do [manual] install.
    13. Memory SD Driver [manual]
    14. ATTENTION: Go to Power Options in Control Panel, check if the brightness control slide is working OK.
      Now, at this point you have:
      • Multimedia Audio controls (Vol +/-, Mute, etc) working OK through Windows Native device handler, (no process needed)
      • Brightness Control working OK, using the brightness control slide in Power Options.
      You can leave it here, and don&#8217;t install VAIO Event Service saving about 15MB of Memory, that this process use. BUT if you want the Fn Key functionality Mute, Vol+/- and Brightness +/- , etc, do the following:​
    15. Install VAIO Event Service. Go to the Folder Extracted from the Notebook Utilities Installer (P.E. G:\DriversFWVista\SNUtilities\TEMPEXEFOLDER\VES2), \VES2 and run the [installer]
    16. Install Firmware extensión Parser [manual]
    17. Install VAIO Power Manager [Go to the Folder Extracted from the Notebook Utilities Installer (P.E. G:\DriversFWVista\SNUtilities\TEMPEXEFOLDER\VPM), \VPM and run the [installer]
    18. Activate your Windows 7
    19. OPTIONAL / RECOMMENDED: get Acronis True Image Home 2009 and made a Backup, so the next time you don&#8217;t need to do this all over again. Only takes about 4 min to create the backup file, and about 3.8GB, recovery from backup takes only a few minutes!.
    20. Install your Antivirus Software (Try Threatfire Highly Recommended) and Applications.

UPDATE:
    was successfully completed in 2 VAIO VGN-FW's and 1 VGN-TX.

My VAIO FW, is running a triple boot system flawlessly : Windows 7, Windows XP3 and Linux Ubuntu 8.10.

Well, that's all I hope it works for you too ;).

UPDATE:
    Hi everyone!, today I'm gonna try Windows 7 RTM in my FW. More feedback soon.

SEE My Lastest Mini-Guide HERE: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=429623 - VAIO FW Windows 7 Final x64 Clean Install

Greetings!
    -Greg

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  2. CeeNote

CeeNote Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm going to give this a try. good job on the guide, +rep!

3. ScuderiaConchiglia

ScuderiaConchiglia NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    Great guide!!!

What are steps 3.1 through 3.3?

Should steps 7.1 and 7.2 really read 6.1 and 6.2?

Gary

4. mcgregor

Reputations:
    Thanks!

Sorry :p, Fixed :)

steps 3.1 - 3.3.

When you extract the Notebook Utilities Installer, you get:

TEMPEXEFOLDER it contains the following folders:
    • BC. Battery Care skip it, its only an annoying nag checker services from Sony VAIO.
    • SUS. Setting Utilities Series, needed to get FN Keys and Vaio Control Center working.
    • VCC. VAIO Control Center, program to set up your VAIO. It allows you to configure the shortcut button, to launch programs.
    • VES2. VAIO Event Service, needed to get Fn Keys functionality, Wireless Switcher Utility(XP install, applies to other models) and VAIO Power Management. VES its a Sony process that runs in memory, takes about 15MB.

• VL. VAIO Launcher, more bloatware, skip it.
    • VPM. VAIO Power Management., manufacture profile and utility to manage the power options for your laptop. However, Windows generic Power Options profiles do the work. If you have installed VES, install VPM too.

NOTICE: If you want a REAL CLEAN WINDOWS 7 Install, do not install:
    • Sony Shared Library
    • Sony Notebook Utilities: BC, SUS, VCC, VES2, VL and VPM

Volume, audio controls buttons works, you can use a generic Windows Power profile. Although, brightness control can only adjust through the brightness slide in Control Panel\Power Options.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  5. aleicgrant

aleicgrant Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    valid for any sony series model? specifically the AW series

Thanks

6. mcgregor

Reputations:
    Well, I made this guide specifically for the FW series. However, I based my findings in whitepapers (clean install articles) from Sony. Then I follow the same order for a clean install in a VAIO VGN-TX750FP and Z successfully. I pretty sure that works in others models too.

7. owais

owais Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    nice guide.

aleicgrant, it should work the same for you, you might have to install slightly different drivers like nvidia 9xxx series instead of ATI. and maybe a TV tuner

8. terrace

terrace Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    They're still giving windows 7 keys?

9. ScuderiaConchiglia

ScuderiaConchiglia NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    No.

Gary

10. brain boy

brain boy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I just tried the Windows 7 download page, and it looks like the are still offering keys, but not the actual downloads the os. So if you downloaded windows 7 earlier, you might still get the key. Tho I have a feeling that terrace meant 'keys' as shorthand for 'downloads', and in that case he's out of luck (unless you go to underground sites and take yer chances with tampered/dirty/virus-filled excutables).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.