Vaio Flip: the Yoga hinge comes to Sony

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Mitlov, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gkhn

Gkhn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah I guess they hold back all new productions after the fan issue is fixed. Because on the sony website you can only order the 14A. So maybe new better fans in the newer models.

2. mobytoby

mobytoby Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I still cannot order on the Sony EU sites, the option to configure is completely gone.

3. oddoneout

oddoneout Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ditto. **** this ****.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

4. ess1

ess1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same here for my 15A

5. muha

muha Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine got delayed too, for another week. This is really unbelievable. Forth delay, and in the last one the said there will be no more, and my final ship date is 16.-21.11. The think that bugs me most is that they didn't even send an email out this time. I had to get this info by myself. Contacted the german support yesterday and ask what was going on. They just told me about the delay, but said it is already in production - wow, my account information said it was in production two weeks ago, until they changed that last week.
    Also, before ordering I specifically asked them on the phone what the weight on the 14" model is - they said it is 1.8 kg. Now the sony site says its 1.93 kg. They have just no idea of there own products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

6. oddoneout

oddoneout Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I cancelled today over the phone. Can't be bothered with this, its just too much hassle. Will be looking at lenovo's thinkpad yoga when it comes out instead or just go for a generic laptop that doesn't convert and has no touch screen.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

7. Houngan

Houngan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My flip 15 is delayed for the second time now. I ordered it at 8. october and now they say it's shipped between 23. and 28. november >.<
    I bet they will delay it even more.

Reminds me on the Lenovo Helix. That thing was delayed for months in germany. Urgh.

To summerize problems i read about:
    - Touchscreen has blackouts, shuts down until next restart
    - Fan is too loud when not in silent mode and spins at full strength too early (temperature-wise)
    - Fan spins on and off continuously in silent mode
    - Performance-drops in demanding games
    - Keyboard-flex
    - Amount of preinstalled bloatware
    - Display-quality (brightness, bleeding, viewing angles)

If the fan is really that horrible, i will turn away from mobile fan-devices in general. Bay trail offers a lot less performance, but if i am forced to throttle down a haswell-device to 50% to make it quiet, i can just buy the 300% cheaper atom-powered device >.<

8. McMagnus

McMagnus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It feels I have to chime in with some positive energi. :) I got mine yesterday, for my wife actually, but I was rather curious too.

It's a silver 13" i7 8GB 256GB and it's a bit heavier than I thought, but that's comparing with a non-touch SVZ so it's not really fair. You can't hold it like a Nexus 10/iPay tablet, but if you hold it on your left underarm, palm upwards, you can scribble with your finger or pen with your right for rather long I'd say. And I got a pen in the box, it seems it's not included for some.

Sure, the fan, well, it's not that bad some make it sound. For example, I bet McAfee was responsible for much of the heat it generated before I got rid of that. And the first couple of hours are always spent downloading loads and loads of updates so there's always something going on that needs cooling. But granted, sometimes it blows air that isn't noticable warmer than the air in the room, meaning it hasn't brought any heat with it on its way through the Flip, in turn meaning it blows unecessary air (and dust) through. But I would absolutely not say that the fan is of low quality. The only sound I hear is the sound of air. No sound from the spinning axle or mechanical noise. Any fix Sony might release is will probably be software only, The order stop is, AFAIK, to replenish component stock.

Clerish and Houngan like this.
  9. sgrig

sgrig Newbie

Reputations:
    Looks like I won't be getting a customized Flip 14A any time soon...
    sony.jpg

Clerish and chrisfromCA like this.
  10. twospirits

twospirits Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    LMAO, sorry don't mean to laugh but seriously estimated ship date of 2999, lol Wow Damn Sony is it going to take that long to fix these issues.

TS out (getting a really good extended warranty) lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.