Vaio Flip: the Yoga hinge comes to Sony

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Mitlov, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    If it's built with S-class build quality, I think a price of over $1500 for a well-equipped Flip 15 is fair. If it's built with E-class materials (aka Fit materials), then perhaps $1000-$1200. It was very confusing at first whether the Flip range is part of the Fit range or a class above it. The price ranges I gave assumed the latter; but if this is part of the Fit range, then I think $1000-$1200 would be fair.

2. Eclipse251

Eclipse251 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Actually there was a time when Sony had devices with x400/x600m cards in them like the AR/AW series. Even the more recent laptops like the F/S series had x40m cards.

3. thirteen13

thirteen13 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi Everyone;

I am currently looking for a replacement for my (very) old vaio : VGN FW31ZJ (dont laugh :) ), it's seriously starting to be hard to work with :)
    I am mostly using it for Multimedia professional use : Photoshop / Light Coding / Video Editing / Music Editing ...

Anyway been lurking on the vaio Z3 last year but didn't made the buy,
    Now i am wondering and hesitating to go for the pro I7 8GB Ram ,
    but since i have seen the FLIP 15A custom with I7 - 16RAM - Discrete GT 735 M i am definitly reconsidering the pro.

Anyway in your guys opinions will the Flip Give me a flawless work experience with PHotoshop editing sometimes huge files ?
    Also considering iam using a very old cpu that is still working in most situation ( VGN FW boosted to 8 GB ram )...

Basically I just need a good workstation that could work 3+ years...and that have enough Horsepower to handle some demanding tasks...

4. JoJotaro

JoJotaro Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes. My 6 year old Vaio FZ has a 8600M GS, it was a performance machine and it is still ticking after all the things I've done with it...

5. thirteen13

thirteen13 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    yes to what ?
    yup mine has a HD 3650, Dual core - T9550 @ 2.66GHz

Actually haven't got no idea how to compare those with the new I7 ulv procs

6. Deorc

Deorc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Everything is fine, but unlike Yoga 2 the air vent of Flip is not at the rear side. :(

7. Devenox

Devenox Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The GT 735M will be always cooler, even if it's pushed @ 80% and the GT750M @ 50%, because the die is just much smaller - with 64bit memory interface - and easier to cool

8. Nevermore0

Nevermore0 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Why is it so hard to find an ultrabook with a 28W or 37W processor? This is beyond frustrating. Not everyone needs all-day battery life.

i7-4558U + GT 750M would be perfect for me. Hell, I probably don't even need the 750M with an Iris 5100.

9. Devenox

Devenox Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't say you can't fit a 35W cpu in it, never said that, i said because of the TDP envelope the HD5000 isnt as fast as an HD4600, thats what i said,
    the ULV CPU is rated at 15W TDP, so it doesnt matter if the cooling can handle 35W or just 5W, the CPU will do everything to keep it 15W, regardless of cooling.

And about downscaling windows, that doesnt exist.. If you have a higher resolution you either have more workspace or you work with the same workspace with 125/150/200% DPI settings and text will be still as sharp as native res. Higher resolution DO matter, it's just not everything, but I still havent found a bad 1440p/1800p panel

10. matt5784

matt5784 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I mean, by definition you won't see an ultrabook with a 37W proc. They have to have the ULV. However, I'm as confused as you about why so few (hardly any) computers have been announced with the 28W Core i7-4558U, though. It would seem from our perspective that it would be a perfect balance between power, heat, and size for a portable laptop that still has decent power. I'd have to guess there must be some difficult technical considerations that we are not aware of because it still really surprises me that almost no one is using it in their machines.

Well, I'll admit I'm not 100% familiar with the way Windows handles scaling. And, I never said the ultra high res panels were BAD (they are still better than the vast majority, i.e. the current MacBook Air panel which is horrendous), most of them fill or come close to filling sRGB. But in general they are nowhere near as good as the Z panel.

I must admit I have several times in the past few years considered buying a Macbook but something has always stopped me. Other than the software, I mean; I really can't stand OSX but these days you can pretty much avoid it completely. Used to be the bad quality screens, now it's just portability and specs. Plus, I suppose I don't really want to be seen with an Apple computer in public (but that's psychological and I can deal). There always seem to be one or two things in the specs that just aren't quite right for me though. Current Retina 13" MBP is a bit too heavy for my taste (given what it costs and its power). But I do think I could live with the display.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.