Vaio Flip: the Yoga hinge comes to Sony

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Mitlov, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franek

Franek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. Bryne

Bryne Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did anybody check out the BIOS settings for the fan problem? A solution might be found there. Looking at the temperatures Lisa registered in her test, I presume that the default setting is way too much on the safe side.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

3. pdagal

pdagal Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There are no fan control settings in BIOS. It's an incredibly minimal BIOS in terms of user settings, honestly.

4. oddoneout

oddoneout Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Funnily enough, I couldn't really hear the fan noise in the video, because of the fan on my current laptop xD
    Seems to be that I pick Sony laptops with fan issues xD

5. realgundam

realgundam Newbie

Reputations:
    Guys,

I think I am going to let go of legacy program like Photoshop and CorelDraw. This is because there are alternative program other there that use Clip Studio Paint, that have great art-usability and can export to photoshop format. I will probably stuck with no pressure for flash though, or plug in a wacom board... sigh.
    Even with Adobe getting Ink API support for CC, I heard it is only for photoshop and AI. I doubt flash is part of it. And then there is OTHER non-Adobe programs like Corel

My question is, I use CorelDraw quite a bit for design, I am wondering if anyone can suggest an alternative for CorelDraw (because of Vector graphic) that uses Ink API? that can also export to AI or to Flash?

6. classicrockr

classicrockr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been looking at new laptops for a while. I LOVE the Flip 15 with the 1TB drive & 2 gb dedicated graphics. the thing is, I really don't know what to get in my laptop. My current situation

- all my files total 95 gb
    - I don't play computer games, but I may start.
    - I don't have a tablet, but if I got one, I wouldn't use it for classes or at work, so I wouldn't need an extremely long battery life
    - I want a cd drive, but only use my current cd drive to rip cd's from

I've been looking at a nearly identically equipped Toshiba standard laptop. it's got the cd drive & 10 key numeric keypad that I want, but don't necessarily HAVE to have.

Any suggestions people? Any good/bad experiences with Sony or Toshiba? I know a lot of people say that a 15" tablet is too big, but I'd mainly be using the tablet to web surf & run a home building program from Punch software.

thanks for any guidance. The Flip 15 has features I don't really require, but it's just so awesome looking, I want to get one!

7. Xpred

Xpred Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the response. What about non-video games? Should I just stick with the original resolution if it's just for text/graphics/inking (zooming) since they're not even going to use up the super high res anyway? And it sounds like I wouldn't be able to scale the res back to normal anyways. I can tell you that I prefer 1920x1080 res on the desktop but just attracted to the "high res" nature in that it may improve, but it sounds like it's not worth it because I wouldn't see a difference... in fact, probably worse if I try to scale back the res (because I know it's so small looking on the desktop).

8. JtheChemE

JtheChemE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's really hard to specifically answer your question without the notebookreview questionnaire filled out ----> , What Laptop Should I Buy?. Also the general "What Notebook Should I Buy?" topic is probably better to ask a question like that :)

Generally speaking, if you aren't looking for a computer with support for active digitizer, you will definitely save some money looking elsewhere. Optical drives are hard to find in the thin form factor. If you can live without an internal optical drive, and don't need an active digitizer, the lenovo Yoga Pro 2 is kind of the 'convertable' to beat. The flip 15 is currently the only 'thin and light' convertible with discrete graphics at the moment.

There are too many variables regarding the flip 15 at the moment, with far too little hands on info for me to really recommend it 100%. Nobody really knows how the discrete GPU will perform, additionally, battery life info for that config is non-existant. I did have a Flip 15 on preorder, but cancelled it due the the ridiculous situation regarding pre-orders, as well as nonexistant hands on reviews for the discrete GPU with the high res screen.

9. McMagnus

McMagnus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, do this:

Switch your laptop screen to a non native resolution. Make sure it's not an even multiple of the native one. Do you see how fuzzy the characters are? How fuzzy straight window edges are? Normally high contrast borders becomes fuzzy. Switch back and forth a few times and look carefully at those high contrast lines as they become crisp in native resolution and fuzzy in the lower.

That's what I'm talking about.

Whatever screen you decide to buy, make sure to use it in that native resolution, otherwise that fuzziness will be there.

10. Xpred

Xpred Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    12GB vs 8GB. If I went with 12GB for:

95% multiple office applications (like opening 4 memory-intensive programs, including OneNote, at once)
    5% audio recording (although this is rare)

Would 12GB be too much? I also read that too much UNUSED RAM could also be bad for my HD (256GB SSD is what I am choosing) b/c they're constantly being unused? Or is this not accurate?

Can too much RAM ever hurt, or only help? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.