Vaio Flip: the Yoga hinge comes to Sony

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Mitlov, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falconary

Falconary Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The green text where it said that the laptop is in production is now removed (On Sony's site). And i have not got any voucher as many here has, even though i ordered the laptop 8 october... I have to be the most unlucky guy in the world LOL

2. oddoneout

oddoneout Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Xpred, take note. Much better answer than I could have given.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

3. Piafinho

Piafinho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Regarding the fan issue, one important clarification.
    Is the fan producing a bad noise or the issue is only that it is always on?

If it is only that it is on but that it doesn't sound that bad, then it shall be a easy" fix to Sony in something like a bios update.
    I don't think that they will leave it like that.

Also, that is a contributor for lower battery life. so if they fix it then for sure there will be quite some extra life time from the laptop in the "mostly idle" scenario.

4. Big_blind93

Big_blind93 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The flips do have SD slots right? I was thinking, in case i run out of my 60GB of SSD it wuold be possible to usa a 64GB SD and put it in the pc and install in it legacy apps? Or it can be used only for multimedia such as videos ecc? Thanks

5. Xpred

Xpred Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Excellent answer. Yes, I was thinking about this if the original resolution was well within the 1920x1080 parameters. Given today's programs, I wasn't sure if I would see much use of anything above 1920x1080. As I mentioned, if we had two programs (say OneNote) that was inking the same thing, or if we were both playing a video game set at 1920x1080 resolution (even with the high resolution display), would we see anything drastically? You mentioned that documents containing text would see possibly see an improvement. My main use is mostly text/inking/OneNote/Office/PowerPoint/Excel/etc, but I also wanted to have the BEST display. And when I meant best, I mean being able to see the text with no blurring/jagged edges at the same resolution. So if I went with the higher res, I would probably either do 2 things: 1) Set the res back down (this would probably defeat the purpose of having a higher res screen eh?) since I don't like things that small, but I do want the finer ability, or 2) keep at the high res and just zoom in to compensate for the smaller text but ultimately having better curves/smoother edges. (Right?) What would you recommend?

And anyone here who has the higher resolution screen (over full HD) chime on if the text is too small or too fine, and whether reverting back to lower res/zooming in = no problem? ;)

6. twospirits

twospirits Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Damn it, I forgot to do this today, sorry been really busy. Okay, I need to ask though, at what setting do you want this test to be done?
    For forum sanity I'll hide the descriptions of the choices, but you will need to read them to give me an idea of what you want me to select to do the test, with that said here goes...

For power setting, choices are..
    A: Balanced, B: Power Saver, C: High Performance
    A: Balanced (automatically balances performance with energy consumption on capable hardware) This is the one I have it on currently.
    B: Power Saver (Saves energy by reducing your computer's performance where possible)
    C: High performance (Favors performance, but may use more energy)

For CPU and Fan, choices are
    A: Silence, B: Standard, C: Performance
    A: Silence (reduces fan noise by restricting performance) This is the one I have it on currently.
    B: Standard (suitable for ordinary tasks, recommended for a wide range of tasks, from document creation to photo editing. This setting enables high performance for tasks that temporarily place a heavy load on the system by providing a balance between performance and silence.
    C: Performance (this setting optimizes performance for a continuous heavy load, fan noise becomes loud depending on the operating conditions because the fan rotates at high speeds.

Battery Care Function
    This limits the charging capacity when plugged in to maximize the battery lifespan (I have it set to "Not Set"
    What is the Battery Care Function?
    The battery pack is consumable. The capacity gradually declines through repeated cycles of recharging and discharging. As a result, the battery life becomes short even if it is fully charged and eventually the battery pack reaches the end of its life.
    Enable the BAttery Care Function to maximize the battery lifespan. With this function, you can reduce battery degradation by limiting the maximum charging capacity. There are two ways Battery Care Function can be set, depending on whether you use your VAIO for long periods of time, when plugged in or not plugged in for mobile use.

Choice A: 80%/50% Charging
    Operating time will be 80% or 50% that of when the battery is fully charged, but limiting the charge capacity when plugged in will delay degradation of battery health and give the battery a longer life. This is recommended when using VAIO plugged in for long periods of time.

Choice B: Overnight Charging
    This allows you to set times that you do not use your VAIO much, such as at night. Charge capacity will be limited to 50% when plugged in at the set time, but the battery will fully charge when nearing the end time for Overnight Charging. The battery will fully charge to 100% capacity other than at the time set for Overnight Charging. To maximize the battery lifespan, set Overnight Charging to 3 hours or longer. This is recommended if your VAIO is often used for long periods without plugging in (mobile use).

Action when battery Power Low
    Off or On (set whether to enter hibernation automatically whenb battery power becomes low in sleep mode.

keyboard backlight
    A: On, B: When key is pressed, C: off

Display Color Mode
    A: No color mode, B: Vivid color tones, C: natural color tones, D: Text for easier reading

Brightness
    Since there isn't a slider with a number, it looks like 60% on battery and 100% when plugged in.

There you have it, let me know the setting you want and I'll do the test.

Although I said that I wouldn't do this since I can't find proof where this came from, I went ahead and installed it and tried Photoshop before and after and I do not see a difference. (Unless I'm not testing it right).

TS

7. meowmeowmeow

meowmeowmeow Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got my first shipping date! Between the 11-16 of November.

Germany - configured 21. Oct, payed 28. Oct. - producing 08. Nov.
    Intel® Core™ i7-4500U 1,8 GHz
    8 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3L-SDRAM
    128 GB SATA Flash SSD
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 735M 2 GB
    39,5cm LED, 2880x1620
    Stylus
    Black
    + free 4 years warranty
    1400€

8. oddoneout

oddoneout Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Same date for me, only probably later since they apparently ship it from their European warehouse to England. Does make me a little peeved we have the same date even though I ordered on the 12th. Sony is lucky that the other laptops out there just don't appeal to me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

9. meowmeowmeow

meowmeowmeow Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    that means the high res displays had a huge delay

10. McMagnus

McMagnus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you (with a 2880x1620 screen) and a friend (with 1920x1080 FHD) plays the same game set at 1920x1080, your friends display will look better!

Why?

Because every frame the game renders can be considered the original digital photo, and those are rendered at 1920x1080. Your friend's screen can display each pixel exactly as it is, whereas yours must scale it up (upsample) by a factor of 1.5. This means that every pixel from the original will "cover" 1.5 pixel horizontally and 1.5 pixel vertically. If we start from the top left corner, that would make the top left pixel easy to make, just make it the same color as the original. But the next to the right will get half of it value from the top left original and half of its value from the next original pixel to the right. This half/half calculation is of course done by hw, but still needs to be done so the scaling is bound to cost more in terms of power drain. But it also means that your image will get blurry. Perhaps not a problem in a hi-res game where there are normally smooth transitions between nearby pixels, but if you see a straight line drawn in an angle, the jagged edges will be smeared out because of the anti-aliasing. (See Spatial anti-aliasing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

That's also the reason why you should *never* ever downscale a high res screen to a lower res just because you can't see the text. What you're saying to the computer is. Draw all graphics, both rasterized and vectorized using the lower resolution, then let the graphics card upsample this rasterized picture to the higher res, and that will add all that blurry anti-aliasing that we don't want. It's *much* better to be honest with the OS and say to it. You have 2880x1620 pixels. Draw the text and graphics as fine as you possibly can using that many pixels. It may use some small amount of anti-aliasing if you have setup the text drawing to do that (which you can do in some OS:es), but it will not incur that extra layer of anti-aliasing which is added just to upsample one rasterized picture to a larger one. Try it! I bet you'll see the problem if you select the lowest resolution you can select, just make sure it's not an even multiple of the native resolution. And you might need a magnifier glass too. :)

So, the answer to your 1 or 2 question is number 2 every day of the year. (Ok, some old programs are not able to adapt to a higher resolution than it was written for. So if you see a window with an input form with lots of text boxes, checkboxes and text to explain their purpose, the text can sometimes overwrite, or be hidden by, the boxes. In that case you need to scale back the font drawing to 100% and try to read what it says, or you can use alt 1 for a while until that program get its act together and releases a new version. I actually have one of those programs installed, a tax income form for the Swedish tax authority. Official authorities are always last to adapt new technology, but I mean, this makes me embarrassed to be Swedish. :eek: )

Hope I didn't confuse your choice of screen too much. And actually, there's one other pro with that hi-res screen, the digitizer. All your drawings you do with the digitizer will have a higher native resolution (assuming the digitizer has the same res as the screen).

twospirits likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.