Vaio Flip: the Yoga hinge comes to Sony

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Mitlov, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beltz5

beltz5 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm in the US and just got an email saying that they started building my flip. ��

2. R.Cade

R.Cade Newbie

Reputations:
    I tried SpeedFan a couple times and it just crashed so I uninstalled it without giving it much effort.

Last night I took the 13A outside in the cold and let the core temp drop to 12C, and the fans where still running. It seems the default settings do not even look at the temps to regulate the fan.

galadriel likes this.
  3. McMagnus

McMagnus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That depends on the original's resolution. If you start with a digital photo with exactly 1920x1080 (2MP), you'd be able to see exactly all pixels on a FHD screen. If you use a higher res screen, you wouldn't see any difference, or rather, it would actually be worse, because the picture would be scaled to something else. The same reasoning goes for any picture with higher resolution which is zoomed beyond its resolution. I.e. when each pixel from the photo is larger than one pixel on screen. You reach that limit faster on a higher res screen.

Say you have a 8MP digital photo and view the whole photo on a 2MP FDH screen (and assuming the scaling is proportional). Each pixel on screen will then be calculated from 4 pixels from the photo. If you use a higher res screen, say a 4MP screen, then each pixel on screen will use 2 pixels from the photo, and this is of course better. But once you pass the zoom factor where each pixel on screen is calculated from less than one pixel from the photo, then you have no longer any use of the extra screen resolution.

The same reasoning is however not applicable when it comes to documents containing text or non rasterized drawings. In that case, the text (font) can always be rendered on the screen with the exact number of pixels that is required to get the wanted size of the text, or drawing. And on a higher res screen, you end up with more pixels, i.e. finer curves.

So, the short answer is, it doesn't really matter (much) when viewing rasterized material, but more when you view non rasterized material. And don't forget that the weakest link at the resolutions we're talking about might be the human eye.

4. Inoos13

Inoos13 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Speed-Fan is running but only showing the temperatures. No possibility to control the fan itself.
    Still i think the fan noise is not that bad when selecting "Silent" in the Vaio Settings. Its out most of the time. But if set to standard or you are running tasks, it may get a little fuzzy.
    I think i fixed it by limiting the max. cpu clock in the energy options. I changed it to 50 % and the fan is out most of the time. Maybe Sony controls the fan by the cpu core usage?

5. Inoos13

Reputations:
    Made a quick snapshot for you.
    IMG_20131108_225706_311.jpg

6. Ally1234

Ally1234 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How did you do that? I can't find the setting to limit the max. cpu clock. (probably because I have a really hard time adjusting to Win 8...).

7. Inoos13

Reputations:
    @Ally1234:
    Go to the control panel / energy options / advanced energy options / and look for something like "processor energy management" / There you will find a minimum and a maximum cpu speed
    Sorry if its not exactly the same since my laptop is running a germany Windows 8.

8. Ally1234

Ally1234 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's really funny, because I have a German Windows as well and was trying to translate your description into German. :-D

I think I found it now, changed it to 50%, but the fan is still constantly on, even though I'm in silent mode and not really doing anything except typing on this forum.

9. rveener

rveener Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    wow, that is embarrassing on Sony's part, temp is the only reason to have a fan... this makes me hopeful that they will issue a fix for this, if enough people complain (as they apparently did the same thing for the duo 13) then sony issued a fix for the fan

in the meantime that is putting a serious damper on my desire to purchase this one

10. mobytoby

mobytoby Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm curious what the fan noise will be on the 15" model.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.