Vaio Flip: the Yoga hinge comes to Sony

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Mitlov, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franek

Franek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    twospirits likes this.
  2. McMagnus

McMagnus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. Cheek

Cheek Notebook Consultant NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I still have hope for this machine after the first reviews of buyers on this forum. But does anybody have an explanation for the awful benchmark scores in the reviews (PCMark etc.)? Is it all in the HDD? Did anybody do a benchmark with an SSD in it?

4. Falconary

Falconary Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well actually the Multi-Flip is pretty average and not awful. See this -> PC Magazine
    Unfortunately, they have no comparison with laptops with the same CPU, but our closest bet is the i5-4200U. In the PC-Mark test, the Multi-Flip is pretty bad compared to the others, but in the other tests, Multi-Flip get better scores compared to i5-4200U units. I know that a SSD gives much better scores in Pcmark, however, the Multi-Flip in the test has 1 TB mechanical drive and 16 GB cache SSD. I do not know how the 16 GB cache SSD works with PCMark7, because a SSD chache has certain limits and it could be that the PCMark7 dont take advantage of the SSD cache. But for instance, the Lenovo Ideapad U430 touch has a SSD cache as well as a mechanical drive, and get much better scores in PCMark7, but lower scores in the other tests. It's pretty weird, but i think that the SSD cache in Multi-Flip isnt utliized in the PCMark7 test.

5. mhensen

mhensen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I hope that the order scheduled to be shipped between 3-11 and 8-11 will be shipped this week.. I am getting excited about it as the latest user reviews, (here on the forum) are getting more positive.
    I guess that there are none already have a shipping notice from a batch before the 3th, as I guess this is the first 'custom build' batch..

6. Cheek

Cheek Notebook Consultant NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I'd say compared to the other current gen i5-4200U machines it's pretty awful. Those ones are like 35% faster (!) in the PCMark, while they have an lower clocked i5 (instead of the i7 in the flip). But maybe it's the SSD, let's wait for some other benchmarks..

7. overzeetop

overzeetop Guest

Reputations:
    I'd bet it's the SSD. Depending on how the SSD/NAND cache is used by the OS makes a huge difference. I think the HDD cache is intended to store frequently used programs and OS files to make for faster program startup. The algorithm used for the cache is determined by the hard drive firmware. The Lenovo uses a M.2/NGFF SSD as a seaparate cache drive which, afaik, is controlled by the Lenovo software. That allows it to act as an actual cache - allowing the machine to "complete" a write operation at SSD speeds even though the actual spinning disk may take tens or hundreds of milliseconds longer on every operation, significantly slowing down any benchmark which requires write access to the disk.

IMHO, whomever at Sony sent out eval units for review with a spinning drive was an absolute idiot.

8. JtheChemE

JtheChemE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ^^^This. Seriously. The first batch of reviews is not really indicative of performance, because who is really going to want the HDD? I'm looking forward to a review by notebookcheck and mobiletechreview.

9. JtheChemE

JtheChemE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What about writing with the stylus? Are you noticing any lag with the flip? Can you compare the overall writing experience to that of the Duo? You've been most helpful so far. I have a custom flip 15a on order, but after some early negative impressions I was just considering cancelling it, I think I may still go ahead with the purchase, just kind of frustrated that 'anticipated' ship isn't until December.

10. jb14

jb14 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Perhaps power management or cleaner code allowing a reduction in CPU cycles reducing the heat generated? Anandtech noticed a massive 25% increase in battery life in the surface pro 2 when upgrading to the win 8.1 so perhaps a knock-on benefit? TBH even if I don't know how it does it, if it is quieter that seems good to me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.