1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Vaio Flip: the Yoga hinge comes to Sony

Discussion in 'Sony' started by Mitlov, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    True, but if it flexes that much with that sort of test, I'm still afraid of noticeable keyboard flex during typing. I did a test similar to what he did on my Duo 11 and I didn't see any flex at all.

Regardless, congrats on the new machine and please post a full review when you get it!

2. Amassaic

Amassaic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Gahh...Sony frustrates me so much already.

I was reluctantly going to buy the 14" Flip. We all know it's no Z or even S but it seemed as if its the best you're going to get from Sony these days.

Now I check the UK store (im in the US) to see what the configurations are and I find out that they max out the 13" and 14" inch models with 1 slot at 8 gigs of RAM, and the 14" without dedicated Nvidia graphics.

Why is it so difficult for Sony to offer the same options across the board for all sizes - or at LEAST the 14" model?

I do a ton of video editing, photoshop, and pro tools music recording. Will I be ok with the Intel HD 4400 graphics + 8 gigs? Also, can anyone confirm if the Flip has WiDi/Intel Wireless Display?

Im tired of waiting for something like the Z or S. Im wondering if I should just go with this anyways. Thanks in advance

3. Amassaic

Reputations:
    To add to my last post, looking at the Flip's configurations, is it true that the only difference between this and the Pro 13 is the flip screen?

I don't need to turn this into a tablet and I suspect that most who use the Flip likely wont either. If they are basically the same thing, I may not even wait for this disappointment.

4. jb14

jb14 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I am surprised you are even looking at the flip? Its whole raison d'etre is the compromise for the tablet mode. There are better alternatives out there if you don't need the flip mode. I would disagree that most buying the flip are not looking at the tablet mode, or else a cheaper slimmer more powerful 13inch ultrabook from Sony/Samsung/etc would make much more sense!

5. Vogelbung

Vogelbung I R Judgemental

Reputations:
    Yeah - I'm surprised too. The whole reason this exists is so that you can turn it into a slate. I use it (the Duo I mean) in slate mode probably 50% of the time, and the same would be the case with any >10" convertible I would buy.

Mitlov likes this.
  6. Amassaic

Reputations:
    Aside from the Pro 13 configured with all its top specs. Find me a more powerful 13" or 14" ultrabook with touchscreen

7. Clerish

Clerish Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  8. Amassaic

Reputations:
    Wow thank you for this! Thats a gorgeous machine and definitely spec'd out better than any Sony. Im just having trouble finding out where I can get it or if its been released.

As for Sony. I truly hope you read this thread. You just lost another long-time customer with the dumbing-down of your line of laptops. Hopefully in 2 years you'll realize the mistake and I can give you another chance. Either way... :hi2:

9. jb14

jb14 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  10. Vogelbung

Vogelbung I R Judgemental

Reputations:
    Good luck with that boat anchor. If it's 1.8Kgs already you might as well go 2Kg and get a Retina Crapbook or an M3800 / something similar.

The Asus is not too bad, but 1.4Kg is on the overweight side these days for a notebook with no convertible skillz. Mind you, since it sticks to the Crapbook Air template, I guess that's not a surprise.

11. mhensen

mhensen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well I am looking forward to getting my order as I believe I have ordered myself a pretty fast and portable machine that I can use to work, watch movies, make notes and design my software on any location I want..

Got me the black 13' i7 with 8GB/256GB. Should arrive somewhere around the 22/23 of october.. I ordered the first day it came online in the Netherlands..
    Will post a review..

About the key flex shown in some of the vids.. I can imagine that there is some light flex but I will never hammer that hard on any configuration... and if you see the man type faster and without too much force you could see that the flex is gone.. I think it is not something I am worried about..

Kraxinto likes this.
  12. MARKFMB

MARKFMB Newbie

Reputations:
    Earlier this morning, a search for: 13A
    on Sony US site turned up info on models :

SVF13N13CXS - NOT available for order -
    but detailed specs show summary:
    VAIO FIT 13A Flip PC - i5 8 GB RAM 128 GB SSD - Silver

However, this afternoon the sites for these two models are not available.
    VAIO Fit 13A Flip PC Sony Store - Sony US

Also: Black color model - SVF13N13CXB

Hope i7 model will show up soon for order in USA.

13. mandersen

mandersen Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Waiting for the Vaio Flip 11 inches model, and more about its specs. Do some of you have any news? Also about when it will come to the US and Europe?

14. Woodgypsy

Woodgypsy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

About the key flex, it is possible that they simply "stretched" the chassis of 13' to design 15' model -- this can lead to increased flex with 15' model (which was the case with S). It is likely that 13' models will have much less flex. It still is disappointing, though. Anyway, good luck with your new laptop!

15. Cheek

Cheek Notebook Consultant NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
  16. mith500

mith500 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Seems like you might be right...the 13A definitely has much less flex, if any:
    SONY Vaio Fit 13A

Clerish likes this.
  17. Kraxinto

Kraxinto Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Was about to pre-order the 13" Flip when noticed battery capacity is rated at 35.325 Wh on Sony UK site.

• The 13" Flip is rated 35.325 Wh
    • The 14" and 15" Flip are both rated 47.55 Wh.
    • The Vaio Pro 13" is rated 35.55 Wh
    • The Duo Pro 13" is rated 47.4 Wh
    Any suggestions as to how long the 13" Flip is likely to last with a 35.325 Wh capacity?

I'm guessing 5 to 6 hours, more like the 13" Vaio Pro rather than the 13" Duo Pro?

Zelbert likes this.
  18. teiger

teiger Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sounds bad, would like it if it lasts about 8h :/

19. Kraxinto

Kraxinto Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I agree, I was hoping for portability in a 13" model, 5/6 hours not really great for all day use.

The 14" is rated 47.55 Wh but I'm guessing will suffer in terms of portability with mechanical parts, HD rather than SSD etc..

20. Zelbert

Zelbert Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I decided to register to be able to post in this thread. I'm really interested in the design of the multi-flip and especially the 14A due to a bit bigger screen and well the price.
    Seeing how the 14A will have a battery similar to that of the Duo 13 sounds promising. Anyone who own the Duo 13 can give some hint regarding the batterylife on their usage? In some reviews it seems to rival the Air 2013 and sometimes with even better results.
    What concern me is the weight which doesn't show up anywhere on Sony's website and no word on the pci-e ssd which only appear recently for Vaio Pro in Europe compared to day-1 configurable in USA. It would be bummer ordering one now and then find out the day you receive it that PCI-E option became available.