Vaio Flip: the Yoga hinge comes to Sony

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Mitlov, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:

Should be revealed soon. Personally, I'm not excited--I like the Duo slider hinge better--but more variety is good.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  2. ascariss

ascariss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm personally excited to see what Sony will be coming up with here, won't be buying it since I grabbed the pro 13 already but if the package is a better deal I might just sell the pro and grab this, if it is reasonably priced.

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Speculation: to avoid two models in direct competition (what I'll call "the General Motors problem"), I suspect that this will be much cheaper than the Duo 13, perhaps part of the Vaio Fit family (Fit Flip...nice alliteration). I suspect a Yoga hinge is cheaper than a well-made slider, so that would certainly help with the pricing.

The video shows the person drawing with a pencil. New Xperia phones have technology that allows you to use any graphite pencil as a non-pressure-sensitive stylus. I wouldn't be surprised to see this same technology on the Vaio Flip. Serious artists would still seek out the Duo 13, but the pencil-stylus setup would be a selling point over competitors like the Yoga, which don't have any sort of stylus at all for accuracy or handwriting purposes.

In the end, they draw a line through the middle of the screen. Some sort of unusual form factor or case design going on there?

4. eehpeehthreeh

eehpeehthreeh Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Haven't been on here in forever, but saw this video today and my immediate reaction was to come back. :)

Been fighting the urge to get a Duo 13, but now also a little curious as to what this is.

5. ascariss

ascariss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As mentioned in the Z haswell thread, perhaps this might be a P series revival, at this moment who knows, or even be a yoga-like device. I have a gut feeling this is not a regular core laptop but atom powered with sales either starting in october or mid to late november for the holiday season.

6. corrado85

corrado85 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i just hope whatever this is, will be a premium device (i.e. Z) and not another 'Fit' lineup

7. Eclipse251

Eclipse251 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Same here. Sony has a noticeable absence of truly high end laptops right now. They need more Z series and F/ S series devices.

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I think that teaser video may have been for the just-revealed-today VAIO Tap 11, a Windows 8 tablet with a Surface-style form factor (keyboard cover and kickstand). Haswell, N-Trig stylus, 1080p, and Sony claims it's the thinnest tablet PC ever sold. The line through the middle at the end of the teaser video was an allusion to the kickstand.

[​IMG]

Sony takes on the Surface Pro with the VAIO Tap 11, its first Windows 8 tablet (hands-on)

EDIT: the Tap 11's kickstand isn't full-width, so maybe this teaser wasn't for the Tap 11, and there's something else on the way too?

9. kanuk

kanuk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Kanuk beat me to the punch: I'd missed the official unveil of the VAIO Flip when I posted about the VAIO Tap 11.

Well, the design actually has been done before, in the Acer Aspire R7. But Acer stumbled on the details, and I suspect Sony has nailed those.

Anyway, with sizes in 13, 14, and 15", I bet this is the successor to the VAIO S-series.

EDIT: with a dedicated GPU, this is definitely the S-Series successor. And nice high-res screens too:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.