VAIO F - NVIDIA Drivers Update (197.16) for GT 330M (10DE-0A29)

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by MidtownHD, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MidtownHD

MidtownHD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Update: NVIDIA released 197.44 drivers for notebooks(with OpenGL 4 support for Fermi GPU), GT300M only gets support up to 3.3

I used the same inf file(changing drivers' version and date, of course) and everything is working as expected.
    Just follow the same instructions if you wanna try.
    - 197.44 inf file and instructions: Midtown's 197.44 Instructions.zip (Mirrors: Megaupload, Hotfile)
    - NVIDIA's original drivers: Download for Windows 7(64-bit)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I managed to install the new NVIDIA drivers for laptops, 197.16 on my VAIO F after modifying the inf file myself for a few hours. I'm no expert, but I guess it worked out fine.

Here's the link for inf file & instructions: Midtown's 197.16 Instructions.zip

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any hardware/software failure.

After testing the new drivers for 24hrs:
    - No flicker at low brightness
    - No uneven brightness after pressing the "Display Off" button
    - Fan not constantly running
    - "Normal" temperature compared to Sony's "certified" graphic drivers
    - No problems after sleep/restart

I don't have PC games, so can't say anything about improvements. I'll keep using the laptop for a while to see if they're stable enough w/ my inf file.

SUCCESS
    1. mangosango - Laptop Forums and Notebook Computer Discussion - View Single Post - Official Sony VAIO F Series Owners lounge *PART 2*
    2. MelodyMaster - Laptop Forums and Notebook Computer Discussion - View Single Post - Official Sony VAIO F Series Owners lounge *PART 2*
    3. crzytimes - Laptop Forums and Notebook Computer Discussion - View Single Post - VAIO F - NVIDIA Drivers Update (197.16) for GT 330M (10DE-0A29) (Fn + F5/F6 keys don't work, maybe hardware related?)
    4. To no End - Laptop Forums and Notebook Computer Discussion - View Single Post - Official Sony VAIO F Series Owners lounge *PART 2*
    5. A lot of people...lol

FAILURE

2. mangosango

mangosango Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    First of all, BIG THANKS to midtown for testing and sharing his .inf and methods.

All fn keys (audio, video) work. No problems with sleep, no brightness flickering, and gpu-z showing CUDA, PhysX, Open CL, and Directcompute checked (active). In other words, these drivers just work for me.

NOW for preliminary performance gains in gaming.

I haven't been able to really compare framerates yet, but for newer games (ME2, BFBC2, etc) these drivers give about a 10-15 BOOST IN FPS AT STOCK CLOCKS. Basically, the performance at stock clocks on the 197.16 drivers is the same as overclocking your 330m with the Sony drivers. I havent been able to overclock with these new drivers yet, but if the amount of fps gained is the same, then we're talking a 20-30FPS boost from a completely stock gt330m that comes with Sony's drivers (in newer games atleast) (Yes 20-30FPS).

ME2 is now FULLY PLAYABLE without overclock at 720p with 4xAA, 16xAF, all settings maxed out. BFBC2 is now PLAYABLE at 720p (some dips below 20 when there are a lot of particles on screen) with Effects High, Shadows Medium, Textures Medium, Level Of Detail High, no HBAO, 16xAF and 4xAA!!

I imagine overclocking will make BFBC2 fully playable at these settings.

Now, not all games are affected. Crysis is still slow @ high settings without overclock. I still have to do more testing to find other games, but so far, it's looking good.

You can also override antialiasing for ME2 in the nvidia control panel now, so you don't have to use the roundabout nHancer method any more.

Overall, the performance gains look promising. Looking forward to how much fps I can get out of this thing :).

3. radi0head

radi0head Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi MidtownHD,

I wanna try out your drivers when I receive my F11 (got shipped today). Could you please PM me? I'm new to this forum, and I don't have any PM privileges yet. Just been reading the threads since I placed an order at SonyStyle about a week ago. Thanks!

-Mark

4. gammaknife

gammaknife Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do these work for the new z too?:D

5. crzytimes

crzytimes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've got the drivers installed properly...my brightness keys DO NOT work...but they haven't worked since I did a clean install on my laptop a couple months ago.

will be testin out Fallout 3/Crysis/Mass Effect/Mass Effect 2 tonight.

6. ozbimmer

ozbimmer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi MidtownHD,

I wish to test the .inf on my Z. Would you please send a copy to me?

BTW, how do I PM you? I can't see that function in my CP.

Thanks.

OzB

7. mangosango

Reputations:
    Got the overclock working. Woo hoo! ME2 4xAA is showing a smooth 30-40fps :). BFBC2 is FULLY PLAYABLE at those settings I listed above. Vids to follow soon.

8. crzytimes

Reputations:
    over clock settings?

9. mangosango

Reputations:
    650/800/1625 (Core/Mem/Shader)

10. crzytimes

Reputations:
    ty sir.