Vaio Duo 11 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Qwaarjet, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Naguissa

Naguissa Newbie

Reputations:
  2. daniel frisbee

daniel frisbee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yes that happens to me all the time using artrage and sketchbook pro. Really irritating!

3. dalamchops

dalamchops Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I will try replacing the battery as suggested above (probably tomorrow) and i will let you guys know how it goes... even if it fixes the problem, it's quite disappointing that its battery life would only last a couple weeks.

I also have another question, has anyone tried to use a UHS SD card and achieve full speed?? I'm wondering if the Card reader is connected to the usb 3.0 or 2.0 bus

4. vaio.phil

vaio.phil Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Regarding a Sony UHS-I Class 10 SDHC 32GB card that I just tried, it looks like USB 3 speed but it probably is a PCI Express type. After we pop the card into the Duo, a new category will appear in Device Manager and it says "Memory technology devices". In it is a "Realtek PCIE CardReader" item.

Speed:
    Copying lots of Sony a99 RAW+JPG files.... always around 37 to 39+ MB/sec on the graph/meter.
    CrystalDiskMark 1000MB Seq = 42.54 MB/s Read, 37.99 MB/s Write.
    These are great numbers for a memory card formatted in the camera (FAT32 not NTFS).

5. dalamchops

dalamchops Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

thanks for the info! Looks like i can get a 64gb or 128gb card to supplement the SSD...

6. vaio.phil

vaio.phil Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, that can work for short term or local/temp use. For long term I think it's better to move it to a USB HDD/SSD, NAS drive, cloud/sky drive or something like that. (The memory cards are not always reliable.)

7. Jurisprudence

Jurisprudence Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry if I'm being an idiot and missing the obvious on the thread but I'm confused how to remove the recovery partitions and other crap on the Duo. I've got the i5 with 128gb ssd. I'll soon need to try upgrade to at least a 256gb ssd but for the moment recovering space lost to Sony's/Microsofts partitions will have to do. I've just created restore DVD's (all 5 eek). Can someone point me in the right direction or provide instructions. Thanks.

Also does anyone know where to get there hands on the extended sheet battery. I'm in Ireland and all the Sony centres have gone into liquidation and the others honestly don't seem to want to deal with Sony, its very odd behaviour. I'm not sure if I can order from elsewhere in Europe due to shipping regulations on lithium ion batteries (seems if its plugged into a laptop on a plane its safe but loose in a bag its considered dangerous, which is BS). I have a Vaio TZ battery in England I can't get home to Ireland and 6 Vaio batteries for my other lappys (3x Vaio TT & 3x Vaio P) in the USA since october last I can't move.

8. heavenly_wild

heavenly_wild Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  9. CoolHotCold

CoolHotCold Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey ho,

Had a quick look around online and saw no photo's of the updated Slider.

So, courtesy of a large Big Retailer in the UK, heres the NEW Sony Slider Duo 13" with Trilumios Display.

No hard specs apart from two backwards facing USB 3.0 ports, a power connector which looks like the same style, a Full HDMI port and a MS/SD combo reader and a Trillumious display, (which is essentially red, blue and green backlights), it's thinner and lighter (no word on how thin or light), Redesigned sliding function, Backlight keyboard (finally) AND instead of that dammed nub it finally has a trackpad, ClearAudio+ speakers, 10 hour battery life and front and rear facing cameras, expect the usual Intel I series processor and several flavours of Ram and SSD combo's, and a digitizer (make unknown)

CHC Slider - Imgur There's your link to the pictures from internal documentation, enjoy and expect it out very soon, Enjoy.

10. heavenly_wild

heavenly_wild Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey CoolHotCold

13" display? I hope not - that defeats the purpose of it being portable. Also, what would the extra size do to the battery life?

Nice find. Where did you get the photos from?

So what happens to the Duo 11? End of life?