Vaio Duo 11 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Qwaarjet, Nov 2, 2012.

1. davepearson

davepearson Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I removed the grills using a craft knife blade

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  2. Ashers

Ashers Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Very nice. That's useful to know. Thanks! I've always been very cautious about opening it up for that reason.

3. sonus

sonus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    FYI, official W10 drivers are now available on Sony support. Though the biggest changes are to the Sony applications for W10.

4. sonus

sonus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I realize that this original post was a while back, but I just experienced this exact issue with my keyboard and the bezel mounted Windows key not working. Control panel reports the same issue as above.

THE FIX: Run the battery down completely and then remove any residual static charge by:
    1. Turn the computer off and unplug if from the charger and expandable battery if you have one
    2. Press the ASSIST button to start up the VAIO diagnostics and select from there start the UEFI/BIOS
    3. Allow the computer to completely run down (It will not hibernate nor go into standby when you are w/in the BIOS as no battery management software is available there
    4. Press the power button for 10 seconds 2 or 3 times and try booting the computer regularly as well (It should not boot and all residual static charge should now drain).
    5. Plug the charger into the computer and restart. VOILA your keyboard hopefully works.

5. podam

podam Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Help! my Vaio Duo 11 screen is dying!

Owner of Vaio Duo 11 since its release in 2012, the screen has started to exhibit small white dot at bottom left corner about 2-3mm few days ago but didn't bother me that much.
    BUT suddenly yesterday i turned it on again an the white area is now spreading about 2-3cm and make bright dead spot! How possible??

Unit was never dropped or no pressures were applied to the screen.....

Someone has same problem on aging Vaio Duo11 i am raging about Sony quality dropping. Ghosting issue and now deadly white sport screen....hope my Z Canvas won't suffer from it too in few year.
    I will ask for repair, since living in Japan but i believe it will cost an arm.

[​IMG][/url
    ]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. FrozenLord

FrozenLord Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow!
    I am experiencing the very same phenomenon on my display and had thought that it was due to pressure on the screen.
    My Vaio has travelled the world with me and started to show those dreaded air bubbles in the display about 7 months ago...
    About 2 weeks ago, this bright spot in the lower left corner appeared and it keeps growing :-(

Vaio Display - Copy.jpg

The spot is spreading (this thread is displayed in Chrome at 100% Zoom and native resolution, fyi) and seems to distort the colors as well - e.g. have a look at the blueish Windows flag...

Do you know any remedy for those problems?
    I recently bought a semi defrctive unit to upgrade my Sony to 8GB Ram and the i7 and had planned to use it for some time to come.

I am really disappointed in Sony's build quality by now!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  7. podam

Reputations:

FrozenLord, thank you for your feedback sadly I would expect owners like us to have this issue after few years of usage with no abuse. Front glass is solid like bullet proof glass, no way to torn or get such pressure to damage screen...

I notice same issue on my Xperia Z3 compact screen, white dot like white sport is literally burning the screen this result as cheap, again customer paid premium for planned obsolescence. it looks like poor adhesive lifespan between underneath layers and LCD.
    My nearly 10 years Vaio-z is like brand new though.

Outside warranty I don`t see how to fix it permanently, even so you may expect same issue to happen soon or later with replacement screen.
    -As for temporary fix I would try to open casing and apply some pressure to stack layer again but I guess whole screen may be glued to digitizer.
    -Other would be to try with heater to slightly warm the area and see if could melt the adhesive again but without pressure this is almost pointless.
    -Buy defective unit, could be the solution... our screen may be defective batch that other could probably last more longer.

Any idea to check LCD manufacturer or id??

8. podam

Reputations:
    i Checked approximate repair for screen will be 488USD without taxes (VAIO Japan service)....

9. Critical Observer

Critical Observer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Necroing the thread to seek advice: is there any value in a BNIB Duo 11 for approximately US$600 or should I look elsewhere? It's the i5-3317U/4GB/128GB configuration and I'd be upgrading the RAM by additional 4GB/8GB. Should I pick this over a more modern SP4 (which runs for quite a bit more for similar spec)? Thanks.

10. FrozenLord

FrozenLord Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Don't!
    The ram is a proprietary form factor unique to the Vaio Duo 11 - unless you get a defective 8GB version to disassemble there is no way to upgrade the RAM.
    Additionally, there are much better performing devices available for 600 USD, especially if you consider refurbished devices.
    I would go for a last gen Core M device if I were you. (E.g. HP Elite x2)
    Alternatively, you can get a new device with a Core M and 8GB for roughly 600 USD. (E.g. Teclast X5 Pro)

I can only advise against buying the Sony Vaio Duo.
    Factors include the display coming apart (see above), the low performance compared to recent Core M devices and the fixed angle keyboard.