Vaio Duo 11 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Qwaarjet, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Ashers

Ashers Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I also upgraded. Very smooth and and things like brightness/volume buttons work ok. Drivers seem to have installed fine (just needed to install a driver for the SD card reader).

There seems to be one bug that I've spotted: In Win 8.1, when you bring out the keyboard, it not only turns off auto-rotate but puts the screen in the correct orientation for the keyboard. Under Windows 10, it just turns off auto-rotate, leaving the orientation unchanged. Not looked at the recovery partition.

2. dome1234

dome1234 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Upgraded, etc everything seems all alright. The switch between desktop and tablet mode is not smooth, the full screen and max window are odd and the task bar may linger after the switch. But generally better than 8.1.

3. Mike01Hu

Mike01Hu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Having checked the Sony 'live' update, I noted that the SVD1122C5E had no compatibility issues but there was to be further testing. Well, I did a full system backup and bit the bullet and am now running W10.

Upgrading was not as smooth as I would like and took three attempts; Windows was fool proof though and eventually got the job done. There is one particular issue regarding pen touch settings that I can't work around as it does not provide me with a settings screen but the pen works for basic elements and writing. Cortana functions well despite saying it did not like the microphone firm/hardware, all settings were completed without further issues but I needed to download the language and speech packs in the language setting dialogue.

All my legacy software seems to function as before but some settings needed changing or restoring as they did not come across in the update process. The screen handling is good with what appears to be better control of the scaling and I have had no issues here.

Sony never resolved the battery monitor feature in W8 when upgrading to W8.1. This provided control of charging and discharging to 80% / 20% limits to extend battery life. It was supposed to be part of the VAIO care pack but it never worked for me despite a couple of re-installs. Bluetooth reliability was also an old issue and this has not changed.

I'll keep this post updated with any issues.

4. Rolf R

Rolf R Newbie

Reputations:
    I have tried to upgrade the ssd with a Plextor 256GB. After cloning the drive with EaseUS I tried to boot the Vaio. The UEFI Menu come up and the drive was recognised, however the Windows would not boot. The error message was No Operating System found. Has anybody succeeded in upgrading a Vaio 11? Thanks

5. OliviaJeanie

OliviaJeanie Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought my Vaio Duo 11 around 2.5 years ago and a few days ago, it won't start. It's written in the screen that the Operating System Not Found.
    Can anybody help me with this problem?
    I tried to go to the service center but, they said they couldn't fix it :(

6. Ashers

Reputations:
    With the machine off, press the assist button (underneath) - that should turn it on in "rescue mode". From there you can recover your system. Note that, depending on what it needs to do, you may lose all your data.

7. FrozenLord

FrozenLord Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have had that before and in my case it was a defective SSD.
    Try going to the UEFI menu and check for your drive.
    If it is not recognized then you need to replace your SSD.

8. mwtzzz

mwtzzz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I've owned the duo 11 since it first came out in Nov 2012, and I've been extremely happy with it. I'm disappointed that Sony discontinued the line. I'd like to get another one to have as a replacement. I suspect chances of finding a new one are slim, but does anyone know if there are any to be had? Or, if not new, then maybe some manufacturer-refurbished ones?

9. davepearson

davepearson Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Upgraded recently from 256gb to 1tb Samsung 850 msata. Cloned original drive using Acronis. Worked ok without problems.

10. Ashers

Reputations:
    How were you able to open it without destroying the speaker grills?