UX32VD - iSSD not detected

Discussion in 'Asus' started by amonamano, Jul 26, 2012.

1. figeholm

figeholm Newbie

Reputations:

2. figeholm

figeholm Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi jaminbird,

I had the same problem. Got a blue screen of death ( " driver power state failure") every time I tried to boot my zenbook UX 32 VD, which then needed about 8-10 minutes to succesfully boot. So I Sent the zenbook to Asus and they said they had to change the whole mainboard for 650 Euro due to the failure " can't detect ssd ". I didn#t agree and got it back. Then I found your post with the lead to remove the iSSD from the mainboard. I tried it carefully by heating it up and I could tear it off quite easily. And: Wow! The zenbook boots very fast and everything runs flawlessly again !

It seems that the iSSD isn't very important for the performance since the HDD does all the work....

So jaminbird, many many thanks from Germany !!!

3. kraftka

kraftka Newbie

Reputations:
    I have an ASUS UX32a and started using Linux Mint when the issd died, which has a fix for totally ignoring the drive. Recently I wanted to try installing Windows again and may have found a non-destructive way of disabling the issd, thru the bios, but have not tested it yet.

There is a bios editing tool called AMIBCP 4.53, which can easily be found thru a google search, which seems to have the ability to unlock all normally hidden bios options, by making the option visible thru the bios menu (by changing the Access/use entry to USER), or by just changing the hidden default. There is a hidden option to disable serial ata port 1 which maybe would work. I'm wondering if any one more technically savvy has some input.

4. Lammas

Lammas Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi!
    For me things got so far that I peeled off the iSSD stone on my UX32VD and now I got black screen. All connections of the LCD screen are fine and I didn't harm the motherboard on any way peeling off the stone. I have and SSD which is empty and ready to install new OS, but now the computer won't show any picture. It even does not blink or flicker (it did before with the stone attached). The computer itself starts, fans, lights on keyboard etc, but the screen wont show any life signs. Any thoughts here ?

5. Asus_ux32v-fix

Asus_ux32v-fix Newbie

Reputations:

I can confirm removing the small soldering will do the trick.

Make sure the channel is separated properly. Took me a few tries, but works like a charm, and waaaay less risky.

6. Tommy2000

Tommy2000 Newbie

Reputations:
    FYI, this worked like a charm for me on my UX32VD on Win 7. Same problems as everyone else...ISSD would periodically show up, then failed completely; slowwww boot times. Tried the software approach to get the system/bios to ignore the ISSD, no joy.

Used a soldering iron to heat up the ISSD and a small computer screwdriver to pry up the heated area. Easy to pry up the ISSD, for me it broke up into a few smaller pieces. But no problem, maybe 10 mins of being careful since I was working directly on the motherboard. I did NOT remove the motherboard and de-solder the ISSD from the back. Just as easy to remove the bottom cover of the UX32VD, locate the ISSD, and get to it that way.

Boot time problem completely gone!! I'd already put in an SSD to replace the hard drive, so the machine is really fast on boot up. Pretty close to the advertised 10 seconds.

Side note: While I don't have a compelling reason to upgrade the UX32VD to Win 10, I did find this helpful site with Win 10 drivers for ASUS. I may give it a try, but right now Win 7 runs great on the machine. Here's the link though if you're interested: http://ivanrf.com/en/latest-asus-drivers-for-windows-10/

Thanks for the tip on removing the ISSD!!

7. ta-rider

ta-rider Newbie

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 4:08 AM
  8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It shouldn't be hard to locate the chip if you know the name of SSD, then locate for that particular chip on the mainboard. However, the challenging part is to figure out which component to disable so the SSD can be disabled.

9. ta-rider

ta-rider Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply. I found my iSSD hidden on the other side of the mainboard. Lucky there was iSSD written on top of it. I took it out: Computer works perfectly again :)

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  10. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Great work! :D