UX32VD - iSSD not detected

Discussion in 'Asus' started by amonamano, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I don't think the issd was supposed to be anything other than a cache really. Small non slc devices can get burned through pretty quick.

2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It didn't last long enough for some, not even a reasonable amount of time.
    Or the option to disable it, which somewhat being forced upon its users.

3. Mallozzo

Mallozzo Newbie

Reputations:
    Amaziiiing! thank you guys you solved my problem! I was having too much trouble with that! I used my propane soldering iron to heat the upper face of the ssd as a mini heat gun. Then I popped up the chip. Be carefull when you do that.

4. Thanx

Thanx Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you, guys, for your advices!

I had many problems with my ASUS zenbook UX32VD because of this iSSD 24Gb. This is the list:

1. Blue screen. It was couple of times.
    2. Express cache (which is stored on iSSD) was flushed (disappeared) after few reboots. Every 2-5 reboots.
    3. Express cache (which is stored on iSSD) was flushed (disappeared) in the time of working (without reboot).
    4. Sudden shutdowns.
    5. iSSD disappears sometimes from BIOS and Device Manager.
    6. HDD is under high load 50%-100% a long period of time.

Yesterday, I heated iSSD by soldering iron and removed this annoying iSSD. I had detached it from the motherboard with the help of knife and soldering iron.

Now I do not have any issues. Thank you, guys! Everything is fine!

Moreover, I am going to change my HDD to SSD and upgrade my 4GB memory to 10GB. I am sure, it will make my ultrabook better than ever!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  5. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Great, thank you guys for sharing your stories. :)

6. LedZeppster

LedZeppster Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks jaminbird!

I heated up the back of the iSSD for about a minute, then used a small chisel to work at it and it popped off. Laptop works flawlessly now.

If anyone else is having this problem I can definitely recommend this method.

7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Just be as gentle as possible of course and try and focus any heat on just the chip and package itself.

8. ASUS_hater

ASUS_hater Newbie

Reputations:
    same problem here, issd don't show up in windows anymore :/
    in bios it gets sometimes detected and sometimes not. if not, then the zenbook startsup pretty fast, but if the issd shows up in bios booting takes about 10 minutes.

asked asus support for a bios update with an option to disable the issd, but they just answered to **** off -.-

has anyone tried the jumper method succesfully? it seems to be the cleaner solution for this...
    [​IMG]

9. ASUS_hater

ASUS_hater Newbie

Reputations:
    jumper method: confirmed.
    sata 1 channel doesn't show in bios anymore and notebook boots up in less than 10 seconds.

anyway: asus -> never ever!

10. phidias81

phidias81 Newbie

Reputations:
    More experiences with he jumper method? Which one is it, in a photo before removal? Because the one in the cirle, either is really small or it was removed already!
    If there would be any video available online even better!

EDIT: I eventuall went for the removal os the SSD, since there were more positive experiences!
    It wasn't that easy, but not even dramatic.
    I think the heating might help, but it's probabably not essential, in fact it looks more like it's glued than soldered. I was having one of this basic pointy soldering iron that you cannot regulate the temperature, and I tryied heating just one corner. With a small flat screwdriver I managed to break off maximum 1mm from the corner. I pushed a little bit deeper, and clearly the heating wasn't reaching where it was supposed to be, so I was about to give up!
    But then all in a sadden it just snapped off all togheter.
    I even managed to melt the tip of the plastic case of the vent! I was actually lucky that it was nothing important, so be careful not to bend too much the soldering iron.
    Now with a mechanical 5400 drive I get to Windows 10 login screen in 12 seconds and 17s to the desktop. Quite satisfied!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016