UX32VD - iSSD not detected

Discussion in 'Asus' started by amonamano, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b00nfire

b00nfire Newbie

Reputations:
    This works perfect for me.

2. jaykaykay

jaykaykay Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,
    I had the same problem and managed to fix it without removing the iSSD from the motherboard. Here's how it panned out:
    I began having issues with slow windows start, and could see that the iSSD wasn't detected in the BIOS. I tried disabling the SATA port that the iSSD was on to no avail. So I returned it to the store I got it in. It was out of warranty but they agreed to fix it if it was a manufacturing issue. So they returned it to me a week later and I noticed that they replaced my main SSD drive and not the iSSD. I could see the iSSD was still on the motherboard. But the problem was solved.
    So I reinstalled windows with a clean install and noticed the problem was back. So I knew it was software/OS related. I remembered installing Intel rapid storage driver. So I went to remove that. But it wasn't in my programs list. I googled it a bit and found it had to be removed from device manager in safe mode. So I uninstalled in safe mode and windows installed its own driver. Instead of being listed under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers as an intel controller, it was listed as Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA controller and also ATA Channel 0 and ATA Channel 1. From the BIOS I could see that my main SSD drive was on port 0, so I disabled ATA Channel 1. Rebooted and it was back to normal, lightning fast startup.
    BINGO!

3. igulpslurpee

igulpslurpee Newbie

Reputations:
    Thought I'd make an account to offer what worked for my Asus UX32VD.

Failing iSSD + Symptoms:
    I, too, had a failing/disappearing iSSD. The problem occurred a few hours after installing Windows 8 on it. Particularly, after updating to 8.1, my iSSD ran out of space (down to under 100mb) and then never turned on after letting it hibernate. After reading this and relevant threads, I concluded installing Windows catalyzed my iSSD failure. I couldn't see the drive in my BIOS, Windows, Ubuntu, or special Linux programs. I'd recommend that no one use this iSSD for anything - memory, Windows, Linux, shoot maybe even IRST/ExpressCache - as it will cause unnecessary pains and huge loss of time. After 2 painful weeks of slow boot times of 3+ minutes (exact symptoms described by others), having to exit bios every single time after powering on my laptop from hibernate or shutdown, and random shutdowns, I met the ultimate problem: my primary drive wouldn't load Windows properly. This is when I booted into BIOS to boot from my USB with Windows setup, and found my original iSSD! I knew I had to destroy it once and for all (figured I could clear the Windows installation) and booted into Ubuntu from another USB. Unfortunately, any format changes (delete all partitions, create new partition table, and/or install Ubuntu) led to an input/output error (basically couldn't speak to the drive). I had to give up here, and go down the scary route...

Final Solution :)
    Thanks to jaminbird for taking one for the team and being the first to remove the iSSD! I was extremely hesistant simply because this laptop is my expensive baby, and I would hate to end its life so early. Unfortunately, if I didn't do this (no warranty), I would have to use an extremely crippled timesucker (can you imagine doing a group project but having to wait 5 minutes before your laptop turns on?). I used my soldering iron and stuck it on the back of the iSSD (at this point I could feel beads of sweat forming!) with no idea as to how long I should hold it. After about 30 seconds, I pried off an edge (yikes! too early).

[​IMG]

I considered stopping here as there was no way the iSSD would work... but since I started, I might as well as finish the job (achilles' heel). I then held the iron closer to the corner and had better luck as I pried with the motherboard as a lever base (sweating like a pig here). I stopped prying, held the iron for 2 more minutes, and then repried and heated. Finally after a POP!, the little devil came off. I quickly flipped my laptop over and turned it on. To my relief, this baby burned through and started up in less than 10 seconds (have a primary SSD installed) - no kidding, this thing is like brand new!

[​IMG]

I know this is a first post, and its crazy to trust me, but hear me out, I personally spent 2 weeks trying EVERY SINGLE software solution I could Google and try. I gave up and tried living with this problem before the iSSD magically struck again. Jaminbird's solution works. Plain and simple. Obviously be extremely careful when prying your iSSD: don't use the motherboard too much as a lever (avoid the small electronics), which also means to heat the darn thing for awhile (try 2-4 minutes and start prying after the 2nd minute). For those of you who don't have a soldering iron, try a blow dryer. DON'T try a stovetop (utterly failed at that when I tried to replace my phone's cracked glass...).

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  4. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    A good work is that as long as the stuff still works. :thumbsup:

5. mykie

mykie Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yup, I just pulled out my failed Sandisk iSSD and now my UX32VD boots instantly, like a dream.

For what it's worth, once I got my soldering iron up to 330*F, the chip started pulling off with very little force (Just a little prying with a small jeweler's flathead screwdriver). I didn't want to try any higher temp than this.

6. coldy

coldy Newbie

Reputations:
    Just removed the chip, works for me so far :)
    Should have done this 2 years ago, when I first had problems with the iSSD.

This should be more prominent when googling!

Thanks for the tip igulpslurpee

7. fabiodt

fabiodt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've sent mine to ASUS and they replaced the mother board with a brand new iSSD (it took approximately 2 months).
    Then I installed re-installed windows 8.1 pro on the main hard drive (another SSD I've got).This was last May/2013.
    Some reports are right ( I used to have windows on the iSSD before it crashes). After that, I don't use the iSSD for nothing, even for cache or quick reboot.
    The iSSD pretty much became useless, but the rest of the computer works fine with my 512GB SSD with no issue by now. Boot and re-start super fast and sleep/hybernate/resume in a blink of an eye.
    If I knew I could remove the iSSD in Mar/2013, I believe I would try it!

8. Machanical

Machanical Newbie

Reputations:
    After about three months of living with this problem I decided it was time to remove this thing. It suddenly happened over the course of summer after I hadn't used the UX32VD for about a month or two, and I quickly found this thread explaining it all.

I've had about to wait 10 seconds until the bootloader appeared after the Asus logo disappeared and I noticed that OS X booted unbelievably slow (2-3 minutes until I could log in). I thought maybe that was due to me changing to Clover and the configuration wasn't right, but that was certainly not the case. I also noticed a great delay after waking from sleep. All of those problems was solved by removing the iSSD.

I used a soldering iron with an extremely pointy tip (I don't have access to any other tips at this moment) which worked, but clearly wasn't optimal as I needed to crank up the heat to about 370 degrees celcius for the iSSD to even get warm. That would probably be solved by having a wider tip so if anything use a larger tip if possible. Held it down on the thing for several minutes on and off for about half an hour (it barely got hot at all) until I decided to use a little extra force and managed to slowly peel it off the motherboard.

So here's my advice:

• If you don't have this problem yet, do NOT use the iSSD as storage like I did.
    • Don't wait if you have this problem. Just do it. It isn't going to solve itself, so get that tumor removed.
    • Don't bother with very pointy iron tips.
    • Use some force to peel it off, preferably with a tool for it (I used a prying tool)
    • Don't give up, have some faith in yourself, it's going to be fine.

Thanks people, I'd never thought of doing this without you. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Well done, it's still considered a success since you were able to remove the tumor, and to allow the notebook to work great again. :thumbsup:

10. FrenchUser

FrenchUser Newbie

Reputations:
    I was experiencing the same "issd not detected" problem on my laptop Samsung NP530U4C
    Slow boot time since a year.
    Finally i decide to open it for removing that tumor
    On my model, the issd was at the back of the motherboard, so i disassemble the motherboard to access it.
    Everything works just fine now.

Thanks guys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.