UX32VD - iSSD not detected

Discussion in 'Asus' started by amonamano, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Monsi

Monsi Newbie

Reputations:
    @pa67: So what exactly is your recommendation if someone just wants to disable the iSSD to be able to boot quickly again? Boot with Gparted? I don't really get it...

@ALL: Does anyone know if it is really necessary to insert the original HDD/RAM again before sending the Notebook to the ASUS for warranty/repair? I've replaced both the HDD and RAM with an SSD and larger RAM stick and would very much prefer to just leave it inside the notebook as long as Asus doesn't care and I get those components back in the end, as my mother is currently using the originally built-in HDD. Any experience or advice?

2. pa67

pa67 Newbie

Reputations:
    @Monsi: Of course, gparted is not the cure. But in this way I was able to reboot quickly in Windows. Then, eventually, I'll send the laptop to Asus. But like, I said, the most important thing is that I recover the files.
    bye

3. jaminbird

jaminbird Newbie

Reputations:
    I was able to successfully remove the iSSD from the motherboard.

First a little back story. My iSSD went out about 6 months ago (a few days after my 1 year warranty expired). Tried everything I could find online, fdisk, gparted, ect, however, my window's system would still hang and boot times were horrible. Tried to re-install windows off a usb and couldn't even get to the installation dialogue as it would hang. I was able to run Ubuntu without any issues as it seems to ignore the corrupted iSSD properly. However, I recently bought a new laptop and want to sell my UX32VD.

So today I opened up the back to see if I could physically remove this stupid thing. I used ifixit's teardown to locate it, turns out I didn't even have to take out the battery. Then I used a soldering iron to heat up the back side of the iSSD chip and gently pried it up with a chisel. It came loose pretty easily. I flipped the laptop over over, held my breath, and hit the power button. Booted right up and the evil ScanDisk SSD i100 was nowhere to be seen in the BIOS.

Here's a few pictures of the before and after. Obviously don't try this unless you're ok with the possibility of completely ruining your machine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. amino2

amino2 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    is your laptop booting fast now ?, i have the same problem with an UX32A, thank you

5. jaminbird

jaminbird Newbie

Reputations:
    yeah, it boots in less then 10 seconds.

6. amino2

amino2 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i'm thinking of soldering it again ( re-flow) , since it look like they used the same bad soldering used with the crappy GPU on some laptop, so i'm thinking of heating it and see if it go better, but you gave a good fix of the problem, thank you.

7. findingsimo

findingsimo Newbie

Reputations:
    Just want to thank jaminbird. I almost gave up on hope that something could be done (mine failed a couple of weeks back, since it's out of warranty and I use the laptop as my primary workstation I delayed sending it in for repair and put Ubuntu on it and used Windows as a virtual machine).

Stumbled on this post today, took the laptop to a friend who has a soldering iron, and it's finally functional again. Again, thank you so much.

8. fabiodt

fabiodt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Congrats to you jaminbird.
    I've sent mine to Asus and they repaired the SSD.
    If it breaks again, I know exactly what do to.
    Tks,
    Fabiodt

9. Niala13

Niala13 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot jaminbird!
    Mine also failed two weeks after the garranty dead line! I ordered a new motherboard but I was wondering whether it could be possible to just cut some connections from the motherboard to the ISSD which could be less harmful. But which ones?
    Any body knows?

Tks,

Niala13

10. Niala13

Niala13 Newbie

Reputations:
    I operated mine yesterday and now it works as a charm thanks to Jaminbird!
    In fact the ISSD is not strongly soldered it looks more like a conductive glue and I just warm the upper side of the ISSD and it detached quite easily. All problems were gone. Previously Win 8 blue screen was turning for 5 min then a win error was detected, then reboot and after 5 more mins I was under win 8, unusable...
    Now with a new 500 Go SSD, 10 Go RAm and WITHOUT this evil ISSD I am under Win 8 in 5 s !!!:thumbsup:
    It's a pity that Asus does not communicate more about this problem, however I understand that being paid 600€ for a motherboard change when your netbook is out of garranty is a juicy job.

ISSD.jpg