UX31 Completely DEAD! Help.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by SeBsZ, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeBsZ

SeBsZ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello...

So there I was, being all happy with my one-week old UX31 (i5, 128gb).

So last night i'm using my laptop. I think my battery was down to about 15% when i put it to sleep (fn+f2).

The next morning, I wake up, grab the laptop and try to turn it on, but it doesn't. Funny, I thought, must have drained the battery while asleep.

I then walked to my charger, plugged it into my laptop and I recall the LED turning orange, as it always does. I didn't turn on the laptop.

Two or so hours later I see the LED is green, good I thought, that thing is fully charged. I press the power button and the little LED comes on, and so does the LED of the caps-lock. About two seconds later both LEDs switch off again (screen never switched on).

So I press the power again, and it does the same thing (lights ON, then off). The fourth or so time it no longer reacts to my power button press (no lights anymore). I then unplugged the charger and pressed the power button for about 10 seconds (to completely switch it off, if it wasn't already). I press power and nothing happens. Insert charger, and the LED stays green but pressing power has no effect.

So right now, my UX31 is completely dead, no matter which buttons I press it will not react in any way. I called Asus, they said "hmmm that's strange, you better send it in." Well the problem is that I'm out of the country for the next two weeks with my laptop (and I called Asus from abroad). I need the laptop for work, so I was hoping anyone here could give me some last things to try.

And yea, I'm the type of person who treats his UX31 like it is some kind of Ferrari. NOONE gets to touch it, it doesn't have a scratch, and I handled it perfectly.

Thanks.

2. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    Remove the charger and battery (if you can) Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds. reassemble and try to boot.
    Check the bottom of the machine for a reset pin hole - if there is one remove all power - press and hold 10 seconds, then try to boot. Let us know.

3. SeBsZ

Reputations:
    I would like to remove the battery. I found a screwdriver that fits in the tiny torx screws at the bottom of the UX31. I just need someone tell me if they can tell that I opened it? If I screw everything back properly? I mean there certainly are no stickers covering anything, but I dont know if they have some special glue that will tell them I opened it thus voiding my warranty?

4. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    Generally only removal of CPU Or stuff attached to the motherboard can void the warranty, but to be safe I would wait till someone who knows more about this model posts. I did not realize you needed tools to remove the battery :(

5. zZWernerZz

zZWernerZz Guest

Reputations:

Personally I would leave it be, as opening it will probably void your warranty, send it in as soon as you can.
    Have you tried pressing the power button for about 15seconds and see if that turns it on?

6. Gavie14

Gavie14 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That sucks, I can offer no advice apart from do not open the UX31 up. Asus will assume you have done something on your part and you will void your warranty.

Send it in.

7. SeBsZ

Reputations:
    Alright. So I plugged the charger back in and pressed the power button, and the power light switches on. And... it stays on. It's still on as I type this. The caps-lock remains off. But... the screen doesn't turn on and it doesn't boot.

Yes I'll send it in at the end of the month. Sucks.

8. bambooragons

bambooragons Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does pressing 'enter' wake it up?

9. SeBsZ

Reputations:
    No enter does nothing.

Situation has changed slightly. When I press power now, all three leds switch on (wifi, caps lock and power) but they switch off after about two-three seconds. The screen never switches on (the ux31 switches off just as I expect the screen to turn on).

10. 1994F7PT

1994F7PT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i would expect that ripping the bottom off, removing battery, removing cmos battery then leaving for 10 mins before reconnecting both in reverse order would sort it

however, on an expensive and new bit of equipment i wouldnt recommend it!lol!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.