1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Using a PS3 controller to play games on Steam

Discussion in 'Alienware M11x' started by eatthestates, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eatthestates

eatthestates Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys,
    I was wondering if anyone has used a PS3 controller to play games on Steam either wired or wireless. I looked at this site How to Use a PS3 Controller on a PC | GameFront and it seems possible, but I am confused as to how it would work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    you can but you need like an unofficial driver to run them as a controller (dstool or something like that). most games default to the 360 controller as that controller is much easier as it downloads the driver and auto installs it: no mess or fuss like the PS3 drivers. the 360 is USB so it'll take a slot but you can plug your mouse back when done or use the pad.

3. eatthestates

eatthestates Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there any guides with a detailed walk through? I tried the one on the link I posted but my controller is not recognized.

4. thegh0sts

Reputations:
  5. NismoCOB

NismoCOB Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm using motionjoy and its working flawlessly!
    Unfortunately, our bluetooth adapter is not compatible, so I'm always wired...
    You also have to use windows in "test mode", so it can install unsigned drivers.
    Quick steps:
    1.Put your windows in testmode, and get rid of the watermark
    2. download motionjoy drivers and install them
    3. plug in ps3 controller with the usb, and install drivers from motionjoy (browse to the correct driver)
    4. in motionjoy you can configure the controller and let it emulate the xbox360 controller.

You can always buy a little bluetooth dongle that would be compatible with motionjoy if you really need wireless.

6. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    see, that's just too much effort just to get a PS3 controller to work on the PC.

7. Ork

Ork Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Like the above poster i use motionjoy and the latest version is signed so you don't need to go into test mode to install/use it.
    I purchased a mini usb bluetooth adaptar by belkin and it works flawlessly through bluetooth.
    The adapter i went for was £7.99 from pc world in the uk(im sure it could be brought for less but im inpatient).
    Also motionjoy has a 360 emulation mode option so the games that only work on 360 controller will work on ps3 controller.

8. NismoCOB

NismoCOB Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's basically about what you like. The xbox controller is too clumsy in my opinion, and the wireless dongle is way too big..
    And I use my PS3 controller wirelessly on my main PC, thats why I go trough all the trouble for the m11x.

You could always buy a cheap pc gamepad, but where the fun in that? :3

9. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    u can use a wired 360 controller....just get a cable tie to keep the cable length short :)

10. Ork

Ork Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Or you could just use a keyboard and mouse!
    Its nice to have options.