Used Omen 17 keyboard keys don't register, ideas?

Discussion in 'HP' started by hertzian56, Nov 11, 2020.

1. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I bought a used omen 17, 7700hq, 1070, but when it arrived just as I was typing in my "user name" into win10 startup, with normal typing pressure, a few keys just do not register. Right from the gitgo a problem not mentioned by the seller. Other keys work using normal typing pressure but about 15 or so letters just do not register normally. Sure if I push really hard most of them work but I'm not going to do that for normal typing and for what I paid for this item. I may return this. What could be causing this problem? Keyboard looks normal no worn off letters etc

I noticed that a LOT of the internal screws are missing since I wanted to make sure it wasn't dust infested as this is a dedicated gaming machine for me. Would that be a cause? Do the keyboards go out on these a lot? Is it a pain to replace keyboards on this model?

*I use gamepads to play exclusively on laptops it's just more comfortable for me and also saves the keyboard a lot of wear.

2. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The seller sent me a return shipping label so there you go. Wow HP forums not very helpful, dead here.