Used Macs Worth It?

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by runnerguy1, Apr 24, 2017.

1. thewanderlustking

thewanderlustking Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah in the States anyways, MacBooks retain most of their value. My 2012 one really can't be picked up as clean as mine is, for under $900. Retarded. But even so there is a reason why I would buy a super clean used over new... ESPECIALLY if I am getting a new unregistered one I can retain an Apple Care warranty on (it can happen!).

Specifications... Sure the newer ones have Retina displays and some upgraded hardware, but things like your HDD and memory are integral now to the motherboard. You can't change them out. A 2.5ghz machine with 16gb of RAM will outperform a faster processor with only 4gb of RAM. Especially how I abuse it with 5 browser pages, with multiple tabs in each, and 2-3 desktops with multiple applications open.

My 500gig hdd is in dire need of upgrading to a 1tb drive. I have to struggle to keep 40-50gig of space free. But, I can easily do that in an hour or so.

And comparing specs of a PC to a Mac is like comparing Apples to... well nuts or something. Not even remotely CLOSE. No PC will EVER COME CLOSE to doing media creation like a MacBook. Even Photoshop, the one program that is truly cross platform, just runs better on Macs. If your a photographer, Apple's Aperture is probably the simplest and best management software out there. And you can do 90-99% of your editing there too.

I have both. I can only afford one MacBook though. And my PC's of choice aren't cheap ones either. I have multiple ToughBooks! But I would NEVER take my MacBook into any of the environments where I use my ToughBooks. Nor would my Mac even run the software I use on my ToughBooks.

Most computers out there these days are poorly made and disposable. Sorry, but no Dell or HP or any of those will outlast a MacBook. Or ToughBook. Even with VERY careful use, your not going to get more than 2-3yrs out of them. My MacBook is 5yrs old now, and looks and functions like it is brand new. Only the polished spot on the spacebar gives anything away.

So forget about the "Apple Tax." These things are made to last, and they do. They are serious quality machines. Now if Apple were to pair up with Panasonic and make a rugged MacBook, it would cost a mint. And I would probably even sell my soul to get one!

2. z31fanatic

z31fanatic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Disagree. Those days are over. Your 2012 will bring in $600 at the most, assuming it's the 15". If it's a 13" model, $450 to maybe $500 if you have maxed the RAM and have a 256Gb or larger SSD.

hmscott likes this.
  3. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    Again, you can't disagree on such matters, it is not arguable; it simply is.

Some places, the culture dictates the value-presence of brands.

Apple is a highly appreciated brand in Europe, especially in Scandinavia.

4. thewanderlustking

thewanderlustking Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe for a beat to crap one, that is possible. I was looking for one that looked, or was, new. Not one with dents and scratches all over it. And if you look on the USA eBay, even DAMAGED ones with broken screens or even bad motherboards, command high prices. I can't buy a fixeruper, get the parts, put my own free labor in, and come out significantly ahead.

I can't buy a used MacBook and get it shiny new and operational and save more than a couple hundred tops.

IF resellers could make money rebuilding MacBooks, there would be a lot of actual resellers reconditioning them. There aren't, and there is a good reason for that. The few that are, artificially inflate the prices up to more reasonable levels (for them) by charging stupid prices for basic upgrades.

And as I posted, "Yeah in the States anyways, MacBooks retain most of their value." But forget about nitpicking he said she said and you can buy a cheap MacBook. The OP was wondering if he even SHOULD considering the minimal price difference.

And yes, there are very good reasons to buy older MacBooks. Like in my case where I need to have maxed memory or a larger hard drive than a crappy 128 or 256 gig SSD. I can barely survive with a 500 gig platter drive. Let alone those. I need 1tb space MINIMUM! And I would not want to see the price tag Apple would put on THAT upgrade...

Lets say the price tag for an older 13" 2012 MacBook was $800-1000, versus a BRAND NEW 2017 for $1000-1300, I would get the upgradable 2012. And I still have to spend $100 on memory, and $50-100 on a bigger drive. If the 2012 only costs me $400 like your suggesting, then purchasing one becomes an easier decision.

I don't know where the cutoff is, but if a 2014 memory and HDD isn't upgradable, I am not touching it. Unless I pick up one for $200-300....

5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  6. Jarhead

Jarhead Systematic Love

Reputations:
    Well yeah, they sell a product in their own market without competition, so of course the prices will be a lot higher. Might be different if Apple reintroduced the program where they licensed out their operating system, but what chances will that happen again? :)

7. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I love it when people on my university for sale page try to sell their 2010 macbook "pro" 13" for 500$ and people actually get suckered into buying it. Apple diehards are a strange kind of people, to the point of ignorance but it's their consumer choice on how they spend their money.

jaug1337 and hmscott like this.
  8. z31fanatic

Reputations:
    You are looking in the wrong places or the wrong sellers. $900 gets me a late 2013 15" retina with 2.3ghz it/16gb ram/512gb ssd/GT750M graphics on Swappa (good site to buy and sell used Macbooks).

9. z31fanatic

Reputations:
    The other poster claimed that his 2012 model would sell for $900 in the US. It simply is not true anymore.

10. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Depends on where you are selling. Stupid students that praise kek would probably still fork over that kind of money for it.