Used Macs Worth It?

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by runnerguy1, Apr 24, 2017.

1. runnerguy1

runnerguy1 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm thinking of making the switch to a MAC. I would never buy a pc used because they just seem to run miserably, but are used Macs decent? I'd be looking around the $600 price point and if it works out we'll I'd just buy a new one, and use the older one for my office staff.

2. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not at that price point. Macs tend to retain resale value better. A $600 one will be 5-7 years old and most likely have spinning disk hard drive that needs replacement and or battery replacement.

saturnotaku and hmscott like this.
  3. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you can find a clean one sure. Most of the used macs I have seen are ones that have "been through the war". lots of dents, scratches and so on. I think it's because the younger crowd gravitate to apple and they don't treat their devices with the same respect us older folk do.

4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Worth it? Yup :)

But, if you have a TB2/3 MBP, maybe try upgrading it with this instead...

Mantiz Venus: an eGPU box + docking station for MacBook Pro

Or, this...

AKITIO NODE Pro eGPU + 2016 MacBook Pro at Computex 2017

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Any Mac made after 2006 is an Intel-based x86 computer, just like a system that runs Windows. You would want to buy a Mac to run the operating system, not because the hardware is any better or worse. MacBooks were part of the major recall that affected the old GeForce 8600M GT GPUs and Apple had to issue an extended repair warranty for its entire 2011 MacBook Pro lineup and many of the early 2012 models because faulty solder would cause the discrete GPU to separate from the logic board, resulting in failure.

Unless you have a specific reason for wanting the operating system, there are plenty of good, new Windows-based machines in that price range that will perform better than a used Mac.

And I say all this as someone who had a MacBook Pro as his daily driver for more than 4 years.

6. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    At 600$, you're probably looking at a MBP from 2010 or 2011, both of which are extremely old, likely have 4GB of ram and a weak video card, plus a worn out battery and a 5400RPM HDD.

I'm gonna flat out say it: You're crazy if you spend that kind of money on that kind of computer with performance like that, not to mention the motherboard defects in the 2011 MBP 15/17 and 2012 MBP 15. If you're hell bent on a mac for whatever reason ( can't think of any.....not in today's environment at least), you're far better putting that money towards a new macbook "pro"

Otherwise, go out and buy a thinkpad and be done with it. Used macs are hardly worth the amount of money people ask for them. That being said, if you can find a 2015/2016 MBP for 600$ then that would be an OK deal.

Starlight5 and hmscott like this.
  7. Jarhead

Jarhead Perfectly Sane

Reputations:
    To add to the responses above (seriously, $600 for 5-7 year old hardware??), note that no computer is 100% maintenance-free. If your primary motivation for switching is because you believe that OSX/macOS is completely hands-off in terms of maintenance, I have some bad news for you...

hmscott likes this.
  8. z31fanatic

z31fanatic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    $600 today gets you much newer than what some people are suggesting. You can get a 2014 Macbook Air with i5/8GB RAM/128GB or 256GB SSD for that amount if you look hard enough. No point buying anything older than a 2013 model.

9. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    I agree.

People in Scandinavia change Apple products as often as some change pants in other regions.

The resell value drops an absolutely staggering amount and you can get previous-gen Apple devices for great prices. The secondhand market for Apple products is well and alive here!

hmscott likes this.
  10. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not around my area. A previous Gen MBA is going for 800 dollars. The apple tax is high here. The initial buy in for apple here is not worth the price of admission either. You can get a WAY better spec'ed Windows based PC device for hundreds less. I know, I had to buy my son a MBA this year for university, I wanted to get him a new Dell xps with maxed out specs...but he wanted the MBA...I was shocked at the price for what you get. NOT worth it at all.

NewMan4Life2010, hmscott and jaug1337 like this.