USB Sound Card + Headphones

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Sparxxx, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vogelbung

Vogelbung I R Judgemental

Reputations:
  2. Dendrit3

Dendrit3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. haquocdung

haquocdung Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    hi Sparxxx,

I have 2 options:
    - Geek Out/Pulse
    - Audio Quest Dragon Fly

Geek Out vs. Dragon Fly
    Pro:
    higher output (up 1 mwah for the Super Duper)
    higher decoding rate (32bit/384khz, studio standard)
    comes with variety of color
    Price is cheaper at this stage
    Con:
    Price will be more expensive later
    Wait time
    Less compact size

Headphone: Vmoda M100!!!

4. Vogelbung

Reputations:
    ^ Head-Fi victim

Don't waste your money on highfalutin' USB interfaces if you only have basic headphones - only do so if you have no budget.

The MMX gets you the most convenient and the best quality combo of headphone + mic in a consumer headset, but it's not necessarily top value. The Corsair USB headsets are totally fine for their price range and represent a better value quotient. Otherwise if headphone bang for the buck is more important, there are good analog standbys like the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 at the $150 range and the Sony MDR-ZX700 (which is very good, but more 'boring' sounding than the M50) at around half that if you shop around, pair it with a $30 Creative X-Fi Go! USB stick along with either a desk mic or a Zalman ZM-MIC1 and you're ready to go.

5. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My desktop I use the Razer Tiamat 7.1, just can't get 7.1 analogue output on my laptop. Sound for my laptop I use a creative USB recon 3d sound card and the tiamat 2.2 headset. I'mu opinion really great combination.

6. kent1146

kent1146 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Good recommendations. Just wanted to add a note for the Razer Surround software sound driver.
    Razer Surround Personalized 7.1 Gaming Audio Software - Razer United States

This is significant, because having virtual surround sound is a highly-desired feature for headphone gamers. Previously, you had to specifically buy hardware that provided this capability (e.g. USB headsets, external sound cards, or external Dolby Headphone processors).

Having this virtual surround sound capability be provided through software now allows for any set of 2.0-channel headphones to be used for gaming without buying additional virtual surround sound hardware. This means that entry-level audiophile headphones (e.g. Audio Technica ATH-M50) are all now fair game for use as gaming headphones.

7. Vogelbung

Reputations:
    You know what, I've been trying it - and regardless of whatever I'm using (in my case, the gamut from the Philips Downtown to the Sennheiser HE+V90) it's actually strongly reminiscent of the (IMO substandard) Asus Dolby Headphone implementation: The positioning cues are there more or less, but the depth and layering are totally whack - unlike some of the dedicated $100-and-under USB virtual 7.1 headsets (the Logitech G35 being a notable example). It's something perhaps you might not realise until you've already experienced DH that really works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.