Urgently Need New Laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by laurena, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laurena

laurena Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, my laptop of 5(!) years has finally died, so I need a new one as soon as possible since I can't even remember what it's like to hand-write notes anymore.

General Questions

1) What is your budget? None, but preferably nothing too crazy expensive

2) What size notebook would you prefer? Anything 11" to 16" (it's a desktop replacement but still needs to be highly portable in my backpack/while riding a bike, so it also needs to be relatively light (anything at or under 7 or 8 pounds)...but not a netbook

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator. Canada

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike:Apple

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?Lots of note-taking, internet surfing and tv watching. Occasionally some school-related programs (usually statistical software or medical/cell imaging programs)

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? My laptop goes everywhere with me, so it needs to be relatively durable

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?No, other than internet flash games and the like

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?At least 6 (with moderate usage), but the more the better

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?Doesn't really matter

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.I haven't heard either spectacular or terrible reviews about 8 yet, so windows 7 would probably be good

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Doesn't matter so long as images/tv looks fine

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?Preferably something that doesn't have an extreme amount of glare, but image quality is more important

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?As long as it doesn't look completely hideous, it's fine. Other than that, the skinnier the better (but that's not a necessity) and preferably at or under 7 or 8 pounds.

15) When are you buying this laptop? Hopefully in the next week

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? As long as it absolutely possibly can (it would be nice to have another one last 5 years).

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?The more space the better, but I don't need an extreme amount. I'm not too sure if I want an SSD drive or not.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner? No

So the most important things to me are: Durability, Light/Portable, Fast, Decent to Good Graphics

Thanks for the help!
    Lauren

2. idiot101

idiot101 Down and Broken

Reputations:
    12.5"
    Thinkpad X230 (with IPS panel)
    HP Elitebook 2570p
    Dell Latitude E6230

13.3"
    Dell Latitude E6330
    Toshiba R930

14"
    Thinkpad T430/T430s
    Dell Latitude E6430
    HP Elitebook 8470p
    Toshiba R940

15.6"
    Thinkpad T530
    Dell Latitude E6530
    HP Elitebook 8570p
    Toshiba R950

3. MadHater

MadHater Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    +1 to Asus Zenbook recommendation. They also have a 11.6" model, UX21VD. Also, they've recently refreshed their portfolio with Ivy Bridge processors.

4. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I don't think anyone playing flash games needs a dedicated GPU.

I'd say if you want something light and durable with a good panel, the X230 is the best choice in my opinion. It can do dual drives with the mSATA + HDD too. The weak point is the touch pad and if that's important to you, it's worth consideration. Like all ThinkPads it's got the stick, which works great, but not everyone rolls that way.

P.S. - Please do not bypass the language filter. We run a G rated forum around here.

5. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Given you had your previous laptop for 5 years and want something portable then the most flexible and portable one available at a surprisingly affordable price is a 12.5" HP 2560P.

I do not recommend a Lenovo X1 carbon as it's far too restrictive. Instead suggest a ultrabook-thin/light but full-powered Sony Z2/SVZ13, or thin-and-light 14" Toshiba R940 or Lenovo T430s as being better machines. See http://forum.notebookreview.com/wha...-please-help-t430s-x1-carbon.html#post8817907 .

6. iViNtaGe

iViNtaGe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, Zenbooks are built very well, super light, and have awesome screens. And the new ones are 1080p IPS.... but are expensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.