Uploaded images error

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Announcements and Guidelines' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jul 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Recently, after fixing the forum's slow browsing issues, I now have a lot of uploaded images that do not appear after I've uploaded them and attached them inline, in the past, if I were to refresh the page they would appear but now they never do even after a long while....

Here is an example:

Uploaded Images Error.png

Shawn likes this.
  2. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    ok now the new post images appeared, but not the older post I made 48 hours ago

3. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
  4. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Not gonna lie I'd take external imgur links over how slow the forum was before. But that is an issue.

Edit: huh maybe its just slow, your another example image was broken at first but now works.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  5. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    Good suggestion I'll use imgur for the time being, thanks bro

6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm having the same problem with attaching images. They show up immediately after my post, but if I go back to them a little while later, they disappear. The forum will also cough up an error message saying that the image is not available.

7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Same here...

But, so far, no interaction from site developers, managers, supporters about this specific problem...

The best thing about posting in a site is uploading images to it, so images can be supported moving forward should the site get migrated to new hardware, new board software, new image hosting, etc.

Using an outside service for image's has in the past been problematic when that site goes away, expires older images, streams ad's instead of the original image, etc.

You end up with lots of helpful technical posts with broken image links - and even if you backed up the images and still have them, you now have 100's-1000's of images to fix in posts on sites you might not even visit these days - who remembers all the places you post with images over 20 years?

Hosting the images on the website storage service integrated with posting has a much better chance of having working - persistent - images through site upgrades over many years. The posts with the images are the value in total of the site, so they are well taken care of by the site over time.

I have added a couple of site mods that look like they are involved in fixing site problems, sorry if I am bothering someone that isn't in the right support chain for fixing the rampant broken images - perhaps let those storage / image guys/gals know images aren't working well in the last few weeks :)

@brubenstein

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  8. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I've sent a note to the development team, we'll be in contact about this. Thank you for the reports.

Charles

9. brubenstein

brubenstein Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks all - I've been doing some testing today and see the variable results as you have noted. Sometimes the images appear, sometimes they don't (in those cases if I go in and edit the post they will show up). So no answers yet, but we're looking at it - these will be helpful examples for our team.

Full disclosure: Our main developer is out this week so it may be a little while before this is fully resolved, but please do add any new info/examples here if you have it.

Spartan@HIDevolution and hmscott like this.
  10. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    True, the image in the OP was not showing so I edited it then saved and now it appears (see above) :)

hmscott likes this.