Upgrading VPC-Z1 (with quad raid) to 1TB !

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by rocket365, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rocket365

rocket365 Newbie

Reputations:
    After purchasing a used Z12 with 256GB quad raid, it was required to upgrade the SSD disk space as an existing Z11 old version already had a 512GB SSD (twin 256GB raid). The only available option was to purchase two 256GB Samsung SSD (MMDPE56GQDXP, internal as 2 x 128GB), as these are the only available SSD that do fit. Spending now more the ~1000 - 1400USD and get only 512GB was not really an option you would like.
    But the new Z2 comes with a 512GB twin raid (2 x 256GB) drive option. This SSD has the same form factor but instead of a 25pin lif connector it is using a 30pin. The pin layout is mirrored and has additional power supply lines. This would give if you purchase two of them an overall 1TB quad raid drive for about 1900USD. Still quite expensive but you get lots of space with a quad raid super fast configuration.
    It is not recommended to follow the steps below, if you are experienced and still a lot can go wrong. It is just how it can be possible to increase, but not an advice upgrade path. Another much more secure option could be to buy the SSD-TOS connector and wait until 1,8'' SSD with 512GB are available. The first modification which was performed did ruin the connector on the SSD and it was quite a challenge to get the SSD working at least in a Z2.
    One way to integrate two Samsung 512GB SSD (MZRPA512HMFU) into a new Z1 (you need an existing quad configuration or you would need to buy the cable from one (I do not have the part number)).

First cut the end of the lif connector in order to remove the interconnections between The upper and bottom copper layer. This requires about 1.5mm of connector to remove (see picture „connector02“). Remove the small nose on one side of the connector cable as well (see picture). The connector layout is mirrored you need to remove the insulation, best with a sharp knife. Remove by scratching the surface slowly until the copper is visible.
    Now place a 3cm length and 1.5mm wide tape on the top and bottom as seen (blue dots) in picture „isolation01“. It is close to separator of VCC and ground. This is to avoid a short cut that can destroy your system.
    Now insert the lif connector into the one of the 512GB SSD. The edge where you removed the nose, should end with the connector of the drive. Whereas at the other side there is still space for 5 pins that are not connected, like visible in picture „connector01“. IT IS VERYS IMPORTANT TO CHECK THERE IS NO SHORTCUT BTW. VCC AND GROUND !!! If there is one, the tape is place badly or the lif connector was not inserted in the right way.
    The assembled two drive module can be seen in picture „ssd01“ (the red arrow marks the gap of 5 pins that remain unconnected, as a 25pin cable is inserted into a 30pin connector), together with the mainboard in picture „z1201“. And final the raid configuration menu displaying the new raid array with 954GB (picture raid01).

connector02
    [​IMG]

isulation01
    [​IMG]

connector01
    [​IMG]

ssd01
    [​IMG]

z1201
    [​IMG]

raid01
    [​IMG]

maxim.sokhatsky likes this.
  2. Qwaarjet

Qwaarjet Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wow, you're crazy dude. Yet awesome at the same time. Great job :D

3. jyar727

jyar727 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This is pretty awesome.

4. pyr0

pyr0 100% laptop dynamite

Reputations:
    Nice work! How many curser blinks do you get at bootup?

5. gambitlebeau

gambitlebeau Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yikes!

Awesome work

6. jollywombat

jollywombat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow....thats crazy! Nice job! :)

7. ZoinksS2k

ZoinksS2k Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I fully support this grossly indulgent waste of time and money.

Kudos

8. Qwaarjet

Qwaarjet Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    best first post ever rocket365, it was Zoinks approved. pyr0 praised. We just need beaup's nod of approval. :D

9. killer626

killer626 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Let me first start by saying I love this... Overkill, with some overkill on top xD

Could we get some performance (I/O) tests plz ?
    I'm just wondering how this setup fares against modern SSDs.

At a cost of something like 1500$, you could have gotten a 2x512Gb RAID array of top-end SSDs, stripped them, and installed them without any hassle.

4xCrappy SSDs RAID > 2xTop-End SSDs RAID ? Just wondering, I have no idea...

10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    I second, third and fourth the motion!

Welcome back, Zoinks! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.