Upgrading to Nvidia GTX 770m on Alienware m17x R3

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Alienwarem17xR3s, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tacumadesigns

tacumadesigns Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    and will the mod driver work on win 7 ultimate. In the description the driver says win 8-64.

2. tacumadesigns

Reputations:
    and finally is the gtx 680m better than the gtx 770m

3. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Win 8 driver is the same as win 7. I see over in laptopvideo2go that they only state win 8 but there is no separate driver line

From what I read the 680m easily able to match the 780m with a little tweaking so will be better than a 770m. And a lot more R3 owners have done the 680m upgrade so more help available ;)

tacumadesigns likes this.
  4. tacumadesigns

Reputations:
    Ok i think imma upgrade feb. 1 thks MickyD.

MickyD1234 likes this.
  5. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If I was you I'd upgrade to the 680M if you can afford it. Not only is it a chunk faster than the 770M, but it also is easy to install & doesn't have the problems with some users not being able to get it to work like we've heard with the 770M in the R3.

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yeah the 680m is much better.

7. griffin96jake

griffin96jake Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there,
    I've recently purchased and installed a 770m into my m17x r3, as my 580m has had troubles from the start etc etc.
    So, I've been following these guides, especially j95, switching to PEG, disabling sound card, installing 770m, then trying to install drivers with the modded nvdm.inf files you provided, but I too am having difficulties as it wont detect the hardware. I've tried the different driver versions and matching it with the modded file but no luck,
    I know you must be a bit sick of this but I was wondering if you could help me out here, as I'm out of warranty, not a technician, and none nearby even touch laptop gpus.

8. predi

predi Newbie

Reputations:
  9. frznto

frznto Newbie

Reputations:
    So I have tried many different ways of getting my new 770m card to work on my R3 coming from a 460 with 3D screen. The card works on my buddies R4 just fine, so i know the card works. Modded A12 unlocked with sata tweak bios from techinferno. Followed different ways to try and get it working but summarized:
    Install the card (tried reseating a few different times)
    In Bios PEG on, tried igpu disabled and turned on

The laptop will start but wont post, (generally starts raid screen then alienhead for F2 and F12) Tried on external monitor with no display.

Any ideas or other things I could try?

10. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi man, I've got a couple if ideas. If you have a 120hz 3D display then the iGPU is already disabled so you do not need any bios mod (except perhaps to get sata 3 back). If you've got a dedicated SSD then the sata thing makes very little difference to load speeds.

It has to be an NV card in the 3D model since they are the only cards (currently) that can pass post with a native 120hz display. If your buddies machine is not 3D then the results show that the card is OK but after that it could just be one of those hardware miss-matches that will not play nice? I'm sure you've seen other attempts to use the 770m here without success.

I assume you get the classic 8 beeps - video sub-system failure?

Just try a stock bios @ default settings. You are going to loose 3D for sure but if you can get it to boot then it will at least work @120hz.

Good luck.

And be very careful with those unlocked bios settings on a 3D machine. I very quickly managed to brick mine (wouldn't even power up) by making a bad choice before I understood how it worked :eek:

Robbo99999 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.